Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Question for oppinion from a mechanic or someone that is mechanicaly inclined

Old 08-20-2003, 02:09 PM
shawnmcw
Sleeper EX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for opinion from a mechanic or someone that is mechanicaly inclined

I have a 97 Civic EX with AC.

When i rev the engine to ~4000rpm and AC is off, no problem, but when i rev it to the same rpm range and AC is on i get a loud squealing type sound from under the hood.

My hunch is a possible worn belt. Would anyone know if there is anything else that, given the same situation, might do the same thing?

Thanks for any info.

PS --- unsure if this is right location for post, but engine tech seemed right to me since the sound seems to be coming from under the hood.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:49 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

You're right, it's most likely a worn belt, or a loose one. Try adjusting the belt tensioner pulley first, since free fixes are always nice if they work

The tensioner pulley bearings have also been known to make a squealing sound, but that kind of noise would be constant, not just when the A/C was on and there was more strain on the belt to turn the compressor.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:56 PM
shawnmcw
Sleeper EX

Cool, thanks for the info, seems like i'm not so worthless at mechanical stuff as i though, my domain is more computer hardware stuff hehe

I have a budy that i'll be seeing tomorow who's domain is in fact the mechanical stuff that said he would check, was just curious if I had the right region in mind for the possible issue :naughty:
Old 08-20-2003, 03:47 PM
crxb16er

yah check the belt deflection and more than likely the belt is loose or too tight, and with the engine turning at higher speeds and the ac pulley putting strain on it, its probably starting to squeel like a pig. good luck probably an easy fix that requires no money
Old 08-20-2003, 05:05 PM
shawnmcw
Sleeper EX

those are the kinds i like, nice round numbers hehe