Notices

spark plugs

Old 07-20-2003, 03:18 PM
Chrgsr96
~~~~~~~~~

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plugs

Ok well yesterday I was out driving around town for about an hour or so and I came back to my house and decided to check my engine out just checking things over. So I look at the rubber plugs that are connected to the spark plug wires and push into the spark plugs and 2 of them are popped off??? I've recently been noticing that they have been doing this and I have no clue why? I open my hood and the rubber plugs are popped off. Well that wasn't the only problem. I look down into the 2,3, and 4 spark plugs and there is oil puddled all down in where the spark plugs are. I had been smelling burning oil too just as of recently and it never used to happen. But yet I don't see burning oil out of my exhaust or my engine bay.

So anyways I took a squirter from a squirt bottle and sucked up all the oil and sprayed it out. I took off my valve cover and cleaned off the sealers or w/e that go around the spark plugs under the valve cover and then put everything back together and drove it around for about 30 minutes. I come back and cylinder 2's plug is popped off again. So I just pushed it back on. So then today I went and autocrossed all day and everytime I got done driving it cylinder 2's plug had popped off again. Everytime I drive it now the plug pops out. What is causing this? Some please help, and what could possibly have caused all the oil to get into where my spark plugs were. The oil has stayed out since I last cleaned it all out but those rubber plugs keep popping off, mainly cylinder 2. Someone please help and sorry for this being so long. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:57 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

If the holes filled with oil, the four plug hole o-rings on the valve cover need to be replaced. That will stop the oil leak.

Otherwise, your problem seems to be a good excuse for new pugs and wires Check to see if the electrode on the top of the plug broke off into the plug wire, that would make it not stick on and requires plug replacement. This has happened on both my Civic and RX-7, the Civic did it spontaniously while the RX-7's plug came apart while I was trying to remove the wires.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:30 PM
Chrgsr96
~~~~~~~~~

Alright that sounds good. Can any damage be done to my car from the oil being in with the spark plugs. Because there was a lot in there at one point. Enough to completely cover one of the spark plugs.

And by having those plugs keep falling out am I losing power when they pop off? I think I will get some new spark plugs and wires, your right it is a good excuse.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:41 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

As long as the oil doesn't catch on fire, you're fine.

You may loose a tiny amount of power and/or efficiency from the reduced spark, but as long as one of the cylinders doesn't stop firing you'll be fine. Just try to replace the stuff soon.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:44 AM
Chrgsr96
~~~~~~~~~

Sounds good. So what kind of plugs and wires would you reccommend? I wouldn't think aftermarket ones would do too much for a car? Should I just get some stock wires or go with some bigger ones? What about spark plugs which kind should I go with?
Old 07-21-2003, 09:00 AM
XHondaTech

this link shows a blown up version of an accord head. Your integra is very similar in design, you may have seals marked by #19 in this pic that are leaking.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...=CYLINDER+HEAD
Old 07-21-2003, 08:30 PM
Chrgsr96
~~~~~~~~~

Yea you are right that was what I was figuring was what it could be. Because I have been taking my valve cover on and off a lot recently. So I took it off again. Made sure those had a tight seal. And I've had no problems so far. Hopefully I fixed them. Now I am just worried about the plug wires that keep popping off.