Notices

Brake pad wear?

Old 06-20-2003, 10:42 PM
cooliojones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad wear?

Ok I put on the Hawk HP+ pads on my ride 3 months ago and I need new ones already! So what is the normal amount of time that these pads should last? What is everyone's elses experiences?
Old 06-20-2003, 11:10 PM
bambbrose

what type of pad are they. I know ceramic wear almost 5 times as fast as normal pads on average
Old 06-23-2003, 10:27 AM
cooliojones

^bump

Ok with as many people on here that mod their cars, I know ya'll have some experiences so please post them!!

Along with the pads that I had to buy, I had to get new rotors too because the old ones were worn down too much to turn them. How often do ya'll go through rotors/pads?
Old 06-23-2003, 10:58 AM
sickhonda

You own a 2002 Accord, assuming that 's the car requiring a rotor replacement, this is way too soon for turning, much less replacing a rotor.

Are you the original owner of this vehicle? Do you replace your pads on schedule or when needed? If you are, then you need to change your driving habit, you brake much too often and most likely majority of it is hard braking. :naughty:

On regular use, without abusive braking and following the regular brake pads replacement schedule, it’s very unusual for stock rotors not to last at least six years or more before requiring any turning/resurfacing.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:04 AM
cooliojones

Originally posted by sickhonda
You own a 2002 Accord, assuming that 's the car requiring a rotor replacement, this is way too soon for turning, much less replacing a rotor.

Are you the original owner of this vehicle? Do you replace your pads on schedule or when needed? If you are, then you need to change your driving habit, you break much too often and most likely majority of it is hard braking. :naughty:

On regular use, without abusive braking and following the regular brake pads replacement schedule, it’s very unusual for stock rotors not to last at least six years or more before requiring any turning/resurfacing.
Six years?! That sounds crazy in itself, unless you are talking about low miles during that time. I have 79k miles on my 2002, bought it new, and this is the 3rd or fourth time I replaced the pads. First 2 times were done by Just Brakes, last time by me but w/ Brembo rotors and Hawk HP+ pads. This was 3 months ago, March 18th. So this time I have OEM pads and AutoZone Aimco rotors (the only ones available @ the time). I can agree w/ the driving habit thing, and when I got the hawks I did have fun going up to stop signs and lights and stopping right @ the line. Oh well, I guess i gotta pay for the habit.

I need examples of different setups people have, the braking performance and how long they typically last so I can get a better combination for my ride.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:27 PM
jschmid

Originally posted by cooliojones
Six years?! That sounds crazy in itself, unless you are talking about low miles during that time. I have 79k miles on my 2002, bought it new, and this is the 3rd or fourth time I replaced the pads. First 2 times were done by Just Brakes, last time by me but w/ Brembo rotors and Hawk HP+ pads. This was 3 months ago, March 18th. So this time I have OEM pads and AutoZone Aimco rotors (the only ones available @ the time). I can agree w/ the driving habit thing, and when I got the hawks I did have fun going up to stop signs and lights and stopping right @ the line. Oh well, I guess i gotta pay for the habit.

I need examples of different setups people have, the braking performance and how long they typically last so I can get a better combination for my ride.
Hawk HP+ are performance pads, so they are going to wear fast. 79K miles is VERY high mileage for your car, so that's why 6 years seems so outrageous to you I guess. My car is a 99, so it's 4 years old, and it's got 63K miles, on original rotors. Changed the pads at 55K for the first time. And half those miles the brakes were stopping 18" wheels.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:04 PM
Shifty_Rick

I don't have any performance brakes on my '89 Toyota pickup, but it has 137,000 miles in 14 years. I have changed the front pads once (they are due for replacement now, but I'm hoping to make it until I get my new Accord EX Coupe next month). The rotors were turned at that time, but are still original equipment. The rear shoes have never been changed.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:53 PM
sickhonda

Originally posted by cooliojones
Six years?! That sounds crazy in itself, unless you are talking about low miles during that time.
Not that crazy at all...just read all the other replies.
You’re putting a lot of miles on that car but still do not justify for the excessive wear on your pads. Yes, you pay for your own habit. :chuckles:

Did you check your caliper/s? You might have bad caliper/s causing brake pad drag (=excessive/rapid pad wear.) Be aware that performance pads tend to wear out faster than stock, hence the frequent pad replacement. Some brake pads with metallic contents are also harmful to rotors.

I have a '91 Honda Accord SE with 78K+ miles. Just replaced both front rotors with Brembo Blanks, only because one was slightly warped. Yes, I could have easily taken it for turning but did not bother. Went ahead and replaced both to make things even. :naughty: