Notices

2003 Accord I4 Brake Problems - Warping Rotors

Old 06-19-2003, 12:27 PM
philsmith76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Accord I4 Brake Problems - Warping Rotors

We have a 03 I4 with 5500 miles. At 2000 or so the car was vibrate pretty bad while applying the brakes. We took it in and they resurfaced the rotors. Now the vibrate is back!

I know that a bunch of people are complaining about this, anyone here having the same problem?
Old 06-20-2003, 12:01 AM
titaniumGSR

heh same here.. plus i hear a squeakin noise once in a while.. but hey. nothin we can really do about it.. oh well
Old 06-20-2003, 04:29 AM
TriKKy

Well....
Almost everyone Ive read that has the problem, like speeding. Hitting your brakes when you are going 80-90mph to slow down to 60 will warp you pretty good. Im not saying you do, and Im not saying that the stock rotors are any good, but a rotor warping at 2000miles is a driver issue much more than a quality issue. My car is at 5000, no problems, and there are many other owners with no issues. While you could have just gotten a crappy pair or whatever, a general piece of advice is to lay off the accel. earlier on the highway if you know you are going to get off/stop.

After one resurface already, you should have the rotors replaced. If they dont cover under warranty I would suggest that you get different rotors with warranties on them.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:28 AM
proteus

Originally posted by TriKKy
Well....
Almost everyone Ive read that has the problem, like speeding. Hitting your brakes when you are going 80-90mph to slow down to 60 will warp you pretty good. Im not saying you do, and Im not saying that the stock rotors are any good, but a rotor warping at 2000miles is a driver issue much more than a quality issue. My car is at 5000, no problems, and there are many other owners with no issues. While you could have just gotten a crappy pair or whatever, a general piece of advice is to lay off the accel. earlier on the highway if you know you are going to get off/stop.

After one resurface already, you should have the rotors replaced. If they dont cover under warranty I would suggest that you get different rotors with warranties on them.
:werd:
Old 06-20-2003, 07:31 AM
03whiteaccord

i got mine resurfaced at like 12000 miles, and now i need it to get them resurfaced again at 16300, but i think i will wait till my oil change and then bi**ch them out. what are some good upgraded rotor though.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:37 AM
Accordz

Brembo makes some nice replacements...
Old 06-20-2003, 07:38 AM
TriKKy

Brembo...niiiiice. I wouldnt get them resurfaced twice...they need to be replaced.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:50 AM
philsmith76

As for driving it hard during the breakin period goes, there was no harsh driving (hard stops, hard accl). The rotors were resurfaced at 2k cause that was when I had enough of the shaking, plus they had to replace the center console compartment below the radio cause that broke. So it seem the rotors were going wrong since the delivery when it had 8 miles.

I am just really disappointed in the situation, on other forums (edmunds...) 03 owners are complaining.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:03 PM
stinker504

I have a 6gen accord and my rotors warped because I'm retarted and like to drift and drive hard. I just got the neuspeed cross drilled rotors and haven't had a problem since. I still drive hard and it's been about 10000 miles since the replacment.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:48 PM
Arniss

You don't HAVE to fork out cash for Brembo rotors to get better braking and rotor warp prevention. I had the same problems in my Civic and Prelude, of course the problem was my driving habits, but getting brake pads that are even a slightly higher grade (I use Akimoto brake pads) will have higher friction but since they use materials that don't generate as much heat the rotors won't get as hot (and warp). I warped two sets of stock rotors hauling ass through Grants Pass in Oregon two years in a row I have done it twice with the Akimoto pads and my rotors are warp free. Brembo rotors will also solve the problem but will also cost quite a bit more than Akimoto pads, the choice is yours. If you drive like a nut you may as well get better pads and rotors...you'll need them.