Notices

OK, some new 5th gen mods in the next couple of months, need some opinions

Old 06-18-2003, 09:38 PM
AcsRcool
Faster than your Geo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, some new 5th gen mods in the next couple of months, need some opinions

Ok guys, I'm planning to do a few things to my 94 LX. I was curious as to whether you guys thought I would see some performance gains on this series of mods. Before you flame me for going NA on the f22, bear in mind that I plan to either turbo or spray eventually (eventually being at least a year or two away).

-throttle body bored 58mm (AEM CAI is 62mm for reference)
-ported intake manifold port matched to throttle and head
-AEM High flo fuel rail (stock injectors)
-AEM Fuel Pressure regulator (I'm going to push the stock pressure a bit, might get a new fuel pump)
-Prothane motor mounts
-Advance my timing to take advantage of higher octane gas and the (already) rich ecu mixture

I also plan on taking a very complete look at all of the timing of my engine. I.e. are all teh valve clearances and spark timings the way they should be and is the timing belt in good condition? Maybe a set of underdrive and power pulleys if i can find a decent used set.

I plan to add an exedy racing clutch in august sometime and eventually maybe a cam gear if i feel ambitious about tuning it. Anyways, the stuff up above is on the table for the next month or so as well as an A/F and fuel pressure gauge in a pod to monitor it. If you guys think I'll get anything beyond better throttle response, please give me your thoughts.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:40 AM
AKUFC
PANIC NOW!!!

Are you going to get a safc or something to tune your fuel if you are going to be porting your head and all?
Old 06-19-2003, 03:19 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

Originally posted by AKUFC
Are you going to get a safc or something to tune your fuel if you are going to be porting your head and all?
yep that's what i was thinking.

fuel rail is definetly a waste with turbo or nitrous, but it does attach to the aem fpr which is nice.

maybe get a 92-96 lude aem cai which is 2.75 inches.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:09 AM
iakona
green quarter...

just a couple thoughts: doesn't the stock 5th gen accord have a 60mm throttle body on the F22?
everything else sounds good, but you may want to look at the Gude upper end package if you're about tuning your F22. comes with a cam, rebuilt head, i/m, t/b and the whole bit. ready to install!!
and i agree with AKUFC, you can raise your pressure, but you still have to tune that sucka. don't forget a cam gear!
with all the stuff you have listed, you'll get better throttle response, if you add a cam gear, you can move your power band a little lower too. i've got mine advanced to +4-degrees.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:04 AM
AcsRcool
Faster than your Geo

Originally posted by iakona
just a couple thoughts: doesn't the stock 5th gen accord have a 60mm throttle body on the F22?
everything else sounds good, but you may want to look at the Gude upper end package if you're about tuning your F22. comes with a cam, rebuilt head, i/m, t/b and the whole bit. ready to install!!
and i agree with AKUFC, you can raise your pressure, but you still have to tune that sucka. don't forget a cam gear!
with all the stuff you have listed, you'll get better throttle response, if you add a cam gear, you can move your power band a little lower too. i've got mine advanced to +4-degrees.
Good question on the 60mm TB. I hadn't thought it was 60 mm all the way through. I'll have to check on that before i drop the coin on the throttle. It's a JG Engine Dynamics TB so I can
t imagine it being the same as stock .I'm getting it from a guy who had a rather badass turbo setup on his car. he said it was 58mm. I had thought it was bored bigger than stock. . .

I don't care to give gude that kind of coin for a crazy package. Basically I'm doing this stuff to learn. Hopefully I'll get a few horses in the process. I still need to get a cam gear and that should help.

No, I don't plan on porting the head at all, the manifold i have is already port matched for it. Im kind of curious about the throttle now though so im gonna be checking that out this afternoon.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:06 AM
AcsRcool
Faster than your Geo

Originally posted by AccordSleeper
[B
fuel rail is definetly a waste with turbo or nitrous, but it does attach to the aem fpr which is nice.
[/B]
It came with the manifold, hehe.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:34 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

i would not buy anything from gude.

1. their hp gains are overrated

2. reground cams are junk and are limited to power gain

3. they'll rip you off, there are people who have needed a lawyer to get their core deposit back on a reground cam after sending the stock cam back.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:20 AM
AcsRcool
Faster than your Geo

Originally posted by AccordSleeper
i would not buy anything from gude.

1. their hp gains are overrated

2. reground cams are junk and are limited to power gain

3. they'll rip you off, there are people who have needed a lawyer to get their core deposit back on a reground cam after sending the stock cam back.
:werd:

Anyways, i suppose im concerned most about whether i should pick up this throttle or not. I would have thought the JG body would be bigger but perhaps I was wrong. Maybe the only difference is that its built to hold boost?? I suppose id better do some hard lookin into this before i go buying it. . .
Old 06-19-2003, 12:42 PM
iakona
green quarter...

even if you do decide to buy a t/b, look around. 2mm over doesn't seem like enough to offset the $200 you're going to be paying for it.
don't forget to port match your i/m!
Old 06-19-2003, 04:51 PM
AcsRcool
Faster than your Geo

ok, my bad, seems he miscalcuated. It appears as though the throttle body is 3" which will mean a CAI upgrade for me. Or perhaps modifying the one I have to fit the bigger TB. Any thoughts on this? I thought about getting a lude V2 when it comes out. Any thoughts on whether it will fit or not? I know accordsleeper has a lude CAI for his h22 swap but i dont know whether its 92-96 or 97-01. The 97-01 is the V2 that will be coming out soon. Anyways, advice/opinions welcome. I intend to tune the shit out of the timing at the earliest possible opportunity. . .