Notices

vtec oil burning

Old 06-18-2003, 05:58 PM
dzturbd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vtec oil burning

Ok. I've read the thread about H22 oil burning issues and know that it is common. I have heard lead techs at Honda say that all Honda cars if driven like sports cars will burn oil.

This said, does anyone have a 2.3L SOHC vtec that burns oil? Mine is a 99 accord coupe 5-speed. I have noticed that it burns a good bit when vtec kicks in (i can see it behind me pretty well). I also think that it burns some during regular driving without vtec.

Sidenote: I found out that when there is barely any oil on the dipstick it only takes 1 qt. to fill it to full (this seems odd). I have been told about 3 or 4 diff. things by Honda people about the tolerance between the High and Low marks on my dipstick.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:06 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

the lower mark on the dipstick indicates a quart low... (obviously, when you add a quart to bring it to full )

Over 3-5000 miles (when I usually get to my oil changes) I do notice the oil on the dipstick is slightly lower than when I last changed it, but no where near the one quart low mark. I check my motor when I change the oil too, I do not have any visible oil leaks. That would indicate to me, that there is some sort of oil burning going on. Although my car never smokes at all.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:14 AM
99accord
www.poksquid.com

Default Re: vtec oil burning

Originally posted by dzturbd
Ok. I've read the thread about H22 oil burning issues and know that it is common. I have heard lead techs at Honda say that all Honda cars if driven like sports cars will burn oil.

This said, does anyone have a 2.3L SOHC vtec that burns oil? Mine is a 99 accord coupe 5-speed. I have noticed that it burns a good bit when vtec kicks in (i can see it behind me pretty well). I also think that it burns some during regular driving without vtec.

Sidenote: I found out that when there is barely any oil on the dipstick it only takes 1 qt. to fill it to full (this seems odd). I have been told about 3 or 4 diff. things by Honda people about the tolerance between the High and Low marks on my dipstick.
i know exactly what you're talking about...