Notices

03 Accord Electrical Questions (Headunit Removal/Amp installation)

Old 06-17-2003, 01:21 PM
bassiccutz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Accord Electrical Questions (Headunit Removal/Amp installation)

No one was able to answer my last few posts, so I'll try rewording it.

I am installing an amplifier. I have all my wiring in place EXCEPT for the little wire that is used to turn the amp on. Most aftermarket decks have a wire out the back that is used for this purpose. It provides a 12 volt signal when the stereo is turned on, causing the amp to turn on. When the stereo is off, the amp turns off.

I have done this before in three cars (GM, mitsubishi, and one old honda). I got out the repair manuals for these cars and found which wire near the fusebox would supply power when the ignition is turned on.

The problem is that i have a 2003 Accord, and no shop manual. I don't know which wire will provide 12 volts when the ignition is turned on (or at least to the accessory position - position "I" on Hondas)

Someone mentioned using an adapter that connects to the positive lead of a speaker wire. Though this may work, it sounds kind of cheap to me and I prefer not to do it this way.

I have done a search on the web for "Honda turn-on lead" and all that came up were a few sites for aftermarket audio installation on the Insight. Apparently, the insight's factory head unit has a wire for the amplifier turn-on lead.

Does anyone know if the 2003 Accord CD player (the SINGLE disc version in the LX - without navigation or climate control) has an output to be used as an amp turn-on lead?

I'm having some trouble finding a good place to mount the amp. I'd like to mount it vertically in the rear corner, but I can't find a flat smooth surface to mount it on. If anyone has an amplifier installed in their accord, could you please post/send some pictures of the installation?

I'd also like to know how to remove the factory headunit in the 03 Accords. Is there a special tool I need to do this? If so, does anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2003, 02:25 PM
95AccordEXR

the cig lighter
Old 06-17-2003, 04:49 PM
BigB2k3

Its called run the remote wire off the ACC fuse in the fusebox... Comes on with car, goes off with car... And if you want put a switch on it to like me and you can controle it with car on even...
Old 06-17-2003, 05:20 PM
AcsRcool
Faster than your Geo

if you want it to just turn on when the car turns on, there ought to be a power antenna lead off the headunit whether the car has one or not. it should come off the factory wiring harness, tap that lead and you are all set.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:17 AM
streetdreams

so how do you remove the 03 headunit with a 6 disc in dash cd receiver?