Notices

5th Gen Door Trim

Old 06-15-2003, 11:33 AM
Illicit Accord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th Gen Door Trim

hey guys, i was just wondering if anyone knew how to paint the door trim on a 5th gen accord, i had heard that you gotta do a bunch of stuff before hand to get all the oils out of the plastic, sand, prime, paint, clearcoat, etc..., i wasn't sure though . I'm sick of the black and wanted to paint it the color of my car....:fawk: shaving cost too much for now so.... painting is the next best thing, anyone know how to do this!??!

Old 06-15-2003, 12:08 PM
95AccordEXR

if it is the same type of material as the sideskirts, then I don't see why it needs all that prepping. I just sprayed my skirts with just the top coat and they look great... and that was a year and a half ago
Old 06-15-2003, 12:15 PM
Illicit Accord

yeah but they aren't like side skirts, well they are, the plastic is the same material, but the plastic has oils in it from over the years dirt and stuff. all that oil doesn't allow the paint or primer to stick on to the trimso even if i did paint it, the paint would chip off the next couple of days. so yea......
Old 06-15-2003, 01:54 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

the door moldings are a lot softer than the skirts- more rubbery. I painted the door moldings the same way i did the skirts and they still look the way they did the day i did it. Just use bulldog adhesive promoter/paint/clear. Dont forget to sand and clean them though.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:47 PM
drmmrboy87

I had my whole car repainted (inlcuding the door moldings, and lips) I'll post the pics soon. (I've got a 5th gen coupe) Im not sure how they prepped the moldings, but I can find out. they look great though, and havent messed up so far, I got it back on Friday.