Notices

Tint Questions- Do I do anything?

Old 06-14-2003, 04:35 PM
mcucci

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint Questions- Do I do anything?

I have a 2002 Accord Coupe. Just got 20 % metallic tint. I went to a real good place. Got the car back and it looks great but on the rear window toward the top there is a good strip thats seems full of air bubbles. I was told that this is due to the matrix on the rear window and that the tints will settle down. Do I try to smooth out the air and push the tint down? I was also told that bec no dye was used i shouldnt try to flatten out any bumps for a month???? Anyone have any advice?
Old 06-14-2003, 05:42 PM
Kingseth2

DO NOT TUCH IT! The tint will settle within a week or two at the most. As for the top, there is really nothing you can do about the bubbling around the matrix (aside from shaving it down - prior to applying the tint). I believe most Accords have this design feature/tint flaw.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:49 PM
JJJ784
No Soup For You!

for my car, it was tinted below the matrix, then after a week, we masked it off and spray painted the matrix with black paint. looks sweeeeeeeet.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:15 PM
99aznaccord

Well first, make sure that the shop used GOOD tint brand. Sure they can be the best, but without the good tint brand, their work will be good, but only to a point. On mine, the dot matrix part used to be the same way that your describing and that was also done by a so called ''good'' shop. Well then, I got it redone by somone else that has been doing tint for over 13 years and used a different type of tint called ''Charcool''. Well my dot matrix is completely covered with no air bubbles. I was actually amazed. Oh and about the part that he says don't touch for a month? That's a lie. What the tinter SHOULD have told you was to tell you to come back and see him in the next 24 hours. This way, the tinter can recheck his work to see how the tint is coming along and see if he can readjust or take out some of the remaining bubbles that MAY have formed back up. If you wait a month, it's too late because the glue would have already settled and already stuck to the windows for anything to be done with. Tint only takes about I think 3-5 days to dry? I forget. Well give it about 48 hours and recheck his work since he didn't ask you to come back. See if you can spot ANY air bubbles on the windows, but look from the outside since it will be easiest to spot then. Look even in the smallest places that you would least expect to look at because that's where the normally come up and by the time you find it in a month, you won't be abl to press it back down, which means you need to redo that window all over unless you want to just keep it that way.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Soulja
HAN's resident 5-0

Mine was the same way when it first got tinted. It really does depend on the shop and the quality film. Mine settle right out in about a week. It's not nesicarilly air bubbles in there, but the liquid that is used as the adhesive that forms there and has to dry out.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:23 PM
kaliraver69

The shop I took my Accord 6th Gen coupe put a freaking sticker looking thing on the outside, that shit psst me off I will probably take it back and have them paint it or something I think it looks hella gay. I guess it does depend on the Shop!
Old 06-26-2003, 08:09 AM
mcucci

they actually wanted to know if wanted a vinyl sticker going across the top...it looks stupid? any pics?
Old 06-26-2003, 08:23 AM
grayaccord

yes your dealer should of told you to come back in a couple of days to check the tint. what my tint dealer told me was that the tint they use in the window wont stick to the dot matrix, but there is a special tint that will, an experience dealer should of known that and should of told you when they installed it.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:45 AM
alpha

For the dot matrix, have it vinyl stripped. It looks great. There are some rear shots of my car at this link, but the pics are kindof dark. The dot matrix was vinyl stripped, you may not be able to tell though. The easiest way is to vinyl strip it, because a lot of shops don't always do sandblasting well, and mostly if it is tinted over, you can still have this white look after a while that won't go away.

click here to see pics

again i say, the pics are dark because of my scanner, so you may not be able to tell, but i hope it helps some.

edit: Yes, I know the tint practically looks like Black paint in these pics, but it's 30%.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:26 AM
99aznaccord

Originally posted by alpha
For the dot matrix, have it vinyl stripped. It looks great. There are some rear shots of my car at this link, but the pics are kindof dark. The dot matrix was vinyl stripped, you may not be able to tell though. The easiest way is to vinyl strip it, because a lot of shops don't always do sandblasting well, and mostly if it is tinted over, you can still have this white look after a while that won't go away.

click here to see pics

again i say, the pics are dark because of my scanner, so you may not be able to tell, but i hope it helps some.

edit: Yes, I know the tint practically looks like Black paint in these pics, but it's 30%.
That's actually wrong. I have tint my dot matrix and there is no ''white look'' that you're talking about. And not all tints will stick to it, but there are SOME that actually stick and not make it visible. The person that did my tint has been tinting cars for over 13 years and uses nothing but the best, but at a cheap cost.