Notices

bore out

Old 06-13-2003, 05:02 PM
makaveli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bore out

I was talking to my cousin and he said it is possible to bore your engone out and get alot more horsepower. is that ture and if it is hoew much would it cost?
Old 06-13-2003, 05:06 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah you can but enjoy the hassle.

If you are serious I would get ahold of 2point6 and check the process and nightmares he went through to get his stable.

His car was also featured in Sport Compact Car either last year or the year before.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:12 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Displacement = horsepower and torque, obviously. You're better off getting a turbo or supercharger....lots of time, effort, and money are involved in boring.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:26 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Boring out the block isn't that much of a hassle. The issue with the Honda is you don't have much room to bore the Iron sleeves are fairly narrow compared to domestic old school V8's

I don't intend to speak for 2point6, but I think is major headaches came from custom stroked cranks not boring.
Old 06-13-2003, 06:05 PM
makaveli

how muc hdo you think it will cost and how much hp would it add
Old 07-01-2003, 09:44 AM
2point6

Originally posted by MrChad I don't intend to speak for 2point6, but I think is major headaches came from custom stroked cranks not boring. [/B]
My issues came from an engine builder who didn't pay attention to detail. Since then I build my own engines.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:49 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

Originally posted by 2point6
My issues came from an engine builder who didn't pay attention to detail.
the right engine builder is the biggest problem when building an engine.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:51 AM
WarptEra

is it the 98 honda accord lx 4cyl you're thinking of boring?

if so,and you want more power, just buy a new car man. Like someone already stated, boring really pertains to older american v8's that were designed without CAD programs and stuff. A modern engine, especially a honda, probably has the least amount of metal between each cylinder that tempreture and reliability will allow.

-w
Old 07-01-2003, 03:12 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Generally speaking purchasing a new car is not the only way.

This would especially hold true if money was already sunk into suspension and body mods.

A port and polished head, with I/H/E, and lighter flywheel could yeild acceptable results. And it could be done for much less then another car. If you did all the above yourself and shopped around it could be done for under 2-grand no issues, perhaps even 1-grand if you were really thrifty and a patient shopper.

You may even find results in having your factory intake or exhaust manifold ported or polished. Becareful, too much hogging of the intake manifold could result in sluggish throttle responce.

Not everyone is looking to out-run everyone else, some of us really love our Cords and look for enjoyment in just making our daily rides better. I know I sure love my Accord over most other sport compact--and have no intention of selling anytime soon.

Tearing into your shortblock; however, really should be saved as a finishing step in an ever extensive list of F23A modifications.