Notices

???Coils or Springs???

Old 06-13-2003, 07:55 AM
NightRider79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???Coils or Springs???

Ight! I just got a set of Tokico HP Shocks to throw on my 5th Gen Accord. Now I dont know whether or not to get GoldLine Springs (2.5 drop) or CoilOvers. Whats the pros and cons of CoilOvers vs Springs? What are the best CoilOvers out their at a reasonable price?:joshers:
Old 06-13-2003, 08:11 AM
Dinzdale40

I would get springs. The only coilovers I would buy are the full coilovers like TEIN's which I don't know if they make them for the 5th gen....
Old 06-13-2003, 08:16 AM
accordhybrid

Also you need to think about are you going for a nice ride, slammed looks or show? If you are going for a nice ride then I would get a set of sport springs if you want the slammed look and don't care about the ride then get some sleeved coilovers and drop them all the way to the bottom and if you are going for show then i would say go with the full true coilovers

Accordhybrid
Old 06-13-2003, 10:47 AM
peiqinglong

I would only get coilovers from now on. Cause anytime you change your tire profile or rim size, it will produce more wheel gap, and with coils, you can adjust it to suit your taste.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:55 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

I first lowered my car with a set of springs and it was ok. But over time, it started to settle and it did it unevenly. It wasn't major, but it's annoying to know that one side of my car was lower than the other.

I since sold those springs in favor of [sleeve] coilovers. It's nice to have the adjustability and I like the fact that I could have the car level all the way around.

Now I'm looking into a set of "true" coilovers like Teins. The way my coilovers are held onto the shock is by grommets and to me is not very reassuring. So I'm gonna switch these out soon for some Teins or something similar.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:25 AM
NightRider79

Ight!! Bet, I'm going to purchase some sleeve coils. Now where can I find some good coils for reasonable prices. I've looked on ebay, but from my past experience I really dont wanna mess with them.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:27 AM
NightRider79

Oh one more thing. Are their any Cons on having Coils? Like sagging or anything like that?
Old 06-13-2003, 11:36 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Originally posted by NightRider79
Ight!! Bet, I'm going to purchase some sleeve coils. Now where can I find some good coils for reasonable prices. I've looked on ebay, but from my past experience I really dont wanna mess with them.
You could try www.groupbuycenter.com for some coilovers. More often than not, you'll probably end up with some Ground Controls.

Originally posted by NightRider79
Oh one more thing. Are their any Cons on having Coils? Like sagging or anything like that?
Sagging isn't really an issue with coilovers. I think that the only con with [sleeve] coilovers is that the ride is a little harsh compared to progressive rate lowering springs. Coilover springs are mostly linear (except there are a few exceptions with the true coilovers). I'd also advise in a set of shocks and have them both installed simultaneously.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:37 AM
Dinzdale40

I heard they bounce and chatter in hard turning. They are probably a good cheap way to go if you want a show car. For a more driveable car I would recommend real coilovers or shocks and springs.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:46 AM
NightRider79

well i as much as i like the show look, i cant go with it due to the fact i live in New York City, POT HOLE CITY...As far as chatter? what you mean chatter? You been bust out, damn that sounds bad.