Notices

which clutch? advice?

Old 06-06-2003, 09:33 PM
pinoyboy
im asian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which clutch? advice?

yeah...my clutch is bout to go...should i buy ACT, clutchmasters, or stock? i only have minor boltons, no need for anything pucked and stuff. wanna spend <300 on clutch itsef
Old 06-06-2003, 09:41 PM
txhatch
I hate 2003 Noobs.

I'd just go with a stock clutch since you're basically stock.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:20 PM
maestro5050

Well what do you plan on doing to the car? If you intend to boost the horse power in the future, I would say go ACT. Might as well do it now instead of having to do it later. I wouldn't advise a pucked clutch for daily driving especially if you do not intend to do extreme modifications.

My personal advise would be to go ACT for the clutch anyway as it will cost about the same as a stock replacement. Just get a normal disk instead of a pucked one. It will be slightly stiffer than the OEM clutch and have much better grip.

One thing that you will find is when you do the clutch, the flywheel will need to be resurfaced. If your stock clutch is too worn, you may find grooves in the flywheel that cannot be surfaced out. If this is the case, I would definately recommend replacing it with a lightened flywheel. I have the flywheel/ACT clutch combo in my car and I love it.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:20 PM
pinoyboy
im asian

i heard that aftermarket lasts longer(?)...thats what dude at shop said...bs??
Old 06-06-2003, 11:25 PM
pinoyboy
im asian

oh, would it b smart to adjust the clutch at all for now? gonna b drivin on it for about another week; and have about one inch of play at the top of the pedal; the rest is dead(!) slips when i change above 3K rpm... i know ive been puttin it off, but $$$
Old 06-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Paul
Eater of Rice

When determining which clutch you should get, you should ask yourself the following. What is done to my car? What kind of power is creating? What do you plan on doing to it in the next year or so? What kind of power will that create? Is it a daily driver? What is your price range? If you plan on getting an ACT, plan ahead, it took 3 weeks for mine to be manufactured.
Old 06-07-2003, 04:46 PM
CPL

Originally posted by maestro5050
Well what do you plan on doing to the car? If you intend to boost the horse power in the future, I would say go ACT. Might as well do it now instead of having to do it later. I wouldn't advise a pucked clutch for daily driving especially if you do not intend to do extreme modifications.

My personal advise would be to go ACT for the clutch anyway as it will cost about the same as a stock replacement. Just get a normal disk instead of a pucked one. It will be slightly stiffer than the OEM clutch and have much better grip.

One thing that you will find is when you do the clutch, the flywheel will need to be resurfaced. If your stock clutch is too worn, you may find grooves in the flywheel that cannot be surfaced out. If this is the case, I would definately recommend replacing it with a lightened flywheel. I have the flywheel/ACT clutch combo in my car and I love it.
Hows the acceleration from dead stop with the lightened flywheel compared to the stock?
Old 06-07-2003, 08:01 PM
maestro5050

Ya know I really didn't see a huge difference that I can attribute to the flywheel alone. Then again, I went from a burnt out clutch to an ACT clutch and lightened flywheel. The difference was night and day, but since I did both the clutch and flywheel at the same time, it's hard to tell which contributes the most. I can tell you one thing though, I can sure rev up quicker, so having less mass there does help.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:07 PM
CPL

Originally posted by maestro5050
Ya know I really didn't see a huge difference that I can attribute to the flywheel alone. Then again, I went from a burnt out clutch to an ACT clutch and lightened flywheel. The difference was night and day, but since I did both the clutch and flywheel at the same time, it's hard to tell which contributes the most. I can tell you one thing though, I can sure rev up quicker, so having less mass there does help.
Do you have to rev the motor a little higher though to get the car moving since there is less mass in the flywheel?
Old 06-07-2003, 08:17 PM
maestro5050

Originally posted by CPL
Do you have to rev the motor a little higher though to get the car moving since there is less mass in the flywheel?
Yeah it helps to do that. The car is a tad sluggish up to about 3K and then takes off. Reving it up for a launch helps off set this.