Notices

Distributor cap......a lil different that i thought.

Old 06-06-2003, 03:34 PM
AP1dude
JDM WHORE!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Distributor cap......a lil different that i thought.

I just bought an MSD distributor cap for my 94 EX...and when i went to switch it out i noticed that it has a slight difference than my other one and won't fit. Does my shit need to be modded for it to fit on there.........It came with extra wire and crimps........i bought it from repsonseimportautofashion.com.....between the two dist caps......one came with a hitiachi dist......was i supposed to get that one........I should of look into it more......any help would be nice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 06-06-2003, 04:21 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe that the MSD ones are for use with their ignition systems.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 06-06-2003, 04:41 PM
AP1dude
JDM WHORE!!!

makes sense
Old 06-06-2003, 07:35 PM
maestro5050

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You very well may have gotten the wrong one. I know that there are also two available for the 96-00 model Civics as well, but I do not know which one is correct. I saw this when my friend bought his. One matched perfect, and the other was off slightly.

Like MaxBoosT said, the MSD caps are for use with the MSD ignition boxes and external coil systems. You will probably not be able to get just the cap to work without at least buying and installing an external ignition box.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:44 PM
ManTiS
NinJA

Default Re: Distributor cap......a lil different that i thought.

Originally posted by 165EJ1
I just bought an MSD distributor cap for my 94 EX...and when i went to switch it out i noticed that it has a slight difference than my other one and won't fit. Does my shit need to be modded for it to fit on there.........It came with extra wire and crimps........i bought it from repsonseimportautofashion.com.....between the two dist caps......one came with a hitiachi dist......was i supposed to get that one........I should of look into it more......any help would be nice
The MSD cap is designed for external coils. It should be bolt-on, or it's the wrong one.

NOTE: You can mod your stock one to accept external coils as well.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:28 PM
AP1dude
JDM WHORE!!!

it has external coil..............my internal one keeps it from fitting
Old 06-06-2003, 11:28 PM
maestro5050

Do the bolt patterns actually line up? Or are they slightly off? Like I said there are two variations of the one for the 96-00 Civics, so it wouldn't surprise me that it would be similar for the 92-95.

As I recall, there was one for a hitiachi distributor like you mentioned, and one for some other application. I don't recall which was the right one, but one bolted straight on, and the other almost fit, but the bolt line ups were off slightly and the cap did not clear all the internals like it should.

My guess would be that you got the wrong one, but double check the bolt line up to be sure or give MSD a call in the morning to be on the safe side. They are open 8AM-5PM MST and can be reached at (915) 855-7123. That is the El Paso, Texas area if you are wondering.

Good Luck to you!
Old 06-07-2003, 08:12 AM
Kabooki

You have to remove the internal coil, i put a MSD on my car and the cap wouldnt fit with the old coil in there. Also had to drill a hole in the back of the distributor casing for the new wires from the msd box.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:44 AM
MarylandHonda

i brought the same cap, it says its for a 1.5 civic and 92-93 accord.
it doesnt fit my distributo also (90 accord)
the 2 top screws match up but the one close to the bottom doesnt. also the caps is not flush on the distributor like the stock cap. i have the blaster 2 coil also.
i took mines back and they said it was the correct one. but it dont fit correctly, the cap doesnt even cover the distributor.
anyone kno?
im planning to modify a stock cap
just feel that buying the md cap was a waste of 47bux, cant take it back....damn.