Notices

Will a 2003 Accord Key work in a 2001?

Old 05-14-2003, 06:38 AM
dvpatel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a 2003 Accord Key work in a 2001?

I lost my key and my remote yesterday. . I was wondering if I buy the 2003 uncut key with the remote buttons on it, will it work with my OEM LX security system?

Thanks
Old 05-14-2003, 06:40 AM
dvpatel

Also, the local dealer wants $40 for new key with chip init and $80 for the LX-Remote transmitter (he says EX transmitter won't work) so any one know where to buy a blank key and a transmitter for cheaper than the prices indicated above?

Thanks
Old 05-14-2003, 07:24 AM
TriKKy

The 03 keys are $$$$$$$$. (Granted that is if you cut them for an 03 accord). My guess is that it wouldnt work though. I know there are definitely places that can make you a key much cheaper than that. Try calling a place that installs auto-starters, they usually get another key made cheap if you dont want to give up your only working one or whatever.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:31 AM
BlackChrome
E46/CD5

'03 Accord has a totally different key than any of the previuous Accords. The new one uses the so-called "laser-cut" (a.k.a. sidewinder) key instead of the traditional key. Trust me on this, there is no way it would work on older Accords unless you change all the locks to the new one!
Old 05-14-2003, 07:47 AM
dvpatel

Thanks a lot.

Any suggestions on where to buy the new key and transmitter? I know ebay is a good place but if I can find a dealer who offers a discount, it would be better because on ebay you never know what car the transmitter came from and so I don't want to get hosed by an ebay seller.
I know that I will have to go to the dealer for the key.

Thanks

Originally posted by BlackChrome
'03 Accord has a totally different key than any of the previuous Accords. The new one uses the so-called "laser-cut" (a.k.a. sidewinder) key instead of the traditional key. Trust me on this, there is no way it would work on older Accords unless you change all the locks to the new one!
Old 05-14-2003, 09:40 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

I have 2 brand new remotes from a 2003 civic... I installed a starter in the car and the guy gave me the remotes cause his starter remotes took over the keyless functions.

Not sure if they'll work... $30 for the pair. If they dont work, you can always re-sell them for more.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:31 PM
dvpatel

Can you please post pics or the numbers from the back of them?

Originally posted by SumAccordGuy94
I have 2 brand new remotes from a 2003 civic... I installed a starter in the car and the guy gave me the remotes cause his starter remotes took over the keyless functions.

Not sure if they'll work... $30 for the pair. If they dont work, you can always re-sell them for more.