Notices

HELP! 91 Accord Starting problem

Old 05-14-2003, 05:26 AM
01ACCORD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 91 Accord Starting problem

This problem started about a month ago. '91 Accord LX. You turn the key, and the engine tries to start as soon as the engine turns over, then stops firing and just cranks. Wait a few seconds and try again, same thing. This can sometimes go for a minute and she will finally start like normal. Runs fine once started.

Any ideas?
Old 05-14-2003, 06:12 AM
GunnerX

Try replacing the Main Relay.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:35 AM
GhettoMax
My other car is also slow

Default ...

I have owned a 91 Accord in the past and most of the accords from around that year that I have come across (in family, friends) have had this one same problem one time or the other. In my case sometimes the car started but sometimes the starter would just keep cranking the engine but there would be no ignition. My first thought was the Main relay as someone previously posted, but after replacing it I realized that didnt help in my case.

After researching further, it turned out that the distributer assembly (not just the cap but the whole thing including the one rod thing that goes into what it looks like the the head) the whole assembly had a manufacturing defect where the oil leaks into it, the solution was to replace the whole thing, I did it myself, it was very easy (IMO) and took care of the problem.

In my cousins case, the engine just suddenly stopped turning over. just cranked when attempting to start and would never have ignition. I suggested the same solution as my car, and bingo! that fixed it.

In one case however (a friend of mine), the local dealer just replaced the ignition coil (as the dealer claims) on his car and it took care of the problem.

Anyways, thats just my experience.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:37 AM
01ACCORD

Thanks guys! This gives me a starting point (pardon the pun).

Can you tell me the parts costs on either of these?
Old 05-14-2003, 06:50 AM
GhettoMax

Default ...

the Main relay from what I remember was around $50 its been a long time so I dont remember the exact numbers and the complete distributer assembly from what I remember was around $245 (Which I thought was very much marked up) you might want to check the price with different vendors to get a better price.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:19 PM
90AccordEX4

It's probably this:

That is the main fuel-injection relay. They are known to go out on 4th gens. Mine went out about 2 years ago (~150,000 miles).
$49.03
Does this happen on hot days or when the car is warm?
Old 05-14-2003, 05:15 PM
fr0zen

is your car doing that every time you start it or on the rare occasion? i think i might be having the same problem.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:17 PM
01ACCORD

He said today it didn't do it. The other day it did it almost every time. It was a warmer day, and I think it's fine when cold.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:05 PM
GhettoMax

Default ...

hmm... 01Accord,

As I now recall my brother also had a similar problem with his older integra and it turned out it was the main relay.

If I were you I would first try replacing the Main relay (Its the same as the one pointed out by 90AccordEX4 as the PGM-FI Main Relay)

I strongly feel that could be your only problem.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:12 PM
GunnerX

Must be the main relay. During summer last year, my car was parked outside all day. When I try to start it, I have to crank it 4-5 times before it started. Got that replaced and it was all good.