Notices

Accord Problems--I DIDN'T Say It, Just Reporting It...

Old 05-09-2003, 02:00 PM
DJ Scotty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord Problems--I DIDN'T Say It, Just Reporting It...

Found these statements about the so-called unbreakable Accord (mostly 6th gen); please be advised I didnt say these things...I merely report it, kids...

"To date, the Honda Accord is the number #1 sedan sold in the United States for 2001. The majority of the Accords are produced in Ohio with a few being exported from Japan. Has the quality control of the Accord gone down hill in the last 3 years since the inception of the 6th generation model? There seems to be various issues debated regarding the quality of workmanship of the I-4 and V-6 Accords produced in the United States. Some of the issues I have been reading at Edmunds.com are transmission problems with the V-6 Accord, balancer shaft seal problems with all Accords, front brake and rotor problems, fuel sending unit problems as well as paint and finish flaws. Is it me or are there more quality problems developing in the US built Accords? There seems to be a host of problems listed on the Maintenance and Repair section of Edmunds. Comments please! "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2 of 2358 Clutch Problem by firstname May 22, 2001 (3:44 am)
Well, recently I sold my 99 Accord EX Coupe because it had such an annoying clutch problem. The dealer Service Manager test-drove it and could not disagree, but he could only offer a fix if it finally BROKE DOWN on me (under warranty). It had one of those "intermittent" roughness problems that was especially annoying. I had suspected a clutch plate improperly mounted. It drove like the mounting bolt heads were grinding against the clutch plate material.

Anyway, my biggest complaint about Honda's is that they never mastered the transmission -- automatic or manual.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#3 of 2358 Honda has slipped by dc_sports_rule May 22, 2001 (7:51 am)
Honda has slipped a lot quality wise. All you have to do is look at this board that lists all the problems with Honda products. I can no longer name any car manufacturer that has an outstanding automobile.

#6 of 2358 Much ado about Something isellhondas by anselmo1 May 22, 2001 (6:33 pm)
I would say that Honda's reliability has fallen off dramatically since the inception of the V-6 Accord in 1998 in its 6th Generation model. NHSTA has a listing of all the transmission problems in the V-6 Accord. A bad supplier was blamed for the initial problem but why are the problems continuing?Since you sell Hondas, your bias is quite evident. Don't get me wrong, I own a 5th Generation Accord which I like a lot.Let's just say, that Hondas of today are not like Hondas back 5 to 6 years ago.

#7 of 2358 quality, Acura vs. Honda by carguy62 May 23, 2001 (10:20 am)
In the recent JD Powers survey the Acura TL was near the top on the list with 76 defects. The Accord had 109 and the Acura CL 152. Why would there be such a difference? All three are made at the same factory with many shared mechanicals. Do they put away the quality checks when the Accord (though 109 is still pretty good) and the CL are being built? Someone once mentioned stricter quality for Acura, so how does that explain the CL having twice the defects of the TL?

#12 of 2358 isellhondas by anselmo1 May 24, 2001 (4:24 pm)
It just wasn't a few units on the V-6 transmission. I know for a fact that one man has had his replaced on his 1998 Accord V-6 as well as his 2001 Accord V-6. The problem with V-6 transmissions is continuous. The Honda-Acura. Net board has numerous postings regarding this problem. http://www.Honda-Acura.net Thank you for respecting my opinion but it is an ongoing problem along with the fuel sending unit and balancer shaft seal defects just to name a few examples.

#13 of 2358 Tranny Problems by pblevine May 24, 2001 (4:54 pm)
I sort of have to agree with isellhondas on this one. I've seen the complaints on Honda-Acura.Net and they are real. But they are rare. I've got a '98 Accord Coupe (EX V6) and have not had that problem. The only problem I've had concerned the Fuel Sending Unit. It worked but just was not accurate. But Honda replaced on a recall and it has been fine since then. Anyway, most of these problems have been rare, but it does seem that as time goes on, more and more such problems are being reported. Could it be that quality has been going downhill since '98?

#16 of 2358 6th Generation V-6 Accords by anselmo1 May 26, 2001 (11:30 pm)
Your right, it seems there is a lot of misery with 6th Generation V-6 Accords. As far as the balancer shaft seal blowing, it is a major design flaw that took numerous complaints to NHSTA to resolve by Honda. Your V-6 automatic transmission will be next. The fuel sending unit has puzzled Honda engineers for 6 years now as well as their supplier. Don't get me wrong, I own an Accord but I think the 6th Generation Accords have far many more problems than any previous generation.

#18 of 2358 Gas gauge---Fuel sending unit problem. by dc_sports_rule May 27, 2001 (6:10 pm)
I have had my fuel sending unit replaced twice on my Accord. Maybe you should confer with your service manager at your dealership isellhondas. He can probably fill you in on a lot of problems that as salesman you are unaware of.

#19 of 2358 2001 Accord V6 Wind Noise by phelpsg May 27, 2001 (6:51 pm)
I bought my 1st Accord about a month ago because of the reputation for quality. I've always owned GM so I thought this would be a step up. It's still too early to say it's not, but my Accord has a wind noise that's been driving me crazy at highway speeds. I found out that there is a TSB about the problem which apparently is due to a faulty windshield seal so it's going back to the dealer for repair. This seems like a basic quality control issue if you ask me.

Old 05-09-2003, 03:54 PM
Kingseth2

I have to agree that I am slightly disapointed with the fit and finish of my 6th gen compared to other 5th gen Accords and 5th gen Civics I have seen. But we must remember that we bought Accords and asside from the 2% of V6s that experience tranny problems, the Accord is a damn fine car for the price.

To me the mechanics are solid. If people want a better fit and finish I suggest they look into buying a car from Europe that has a price tag of over $30,000.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:01 PM
Matt86
vtec ownz j00

Originally posted by Kingseth2
I have to agree that I am slightly disapointed with the fit and finish of my 6th gen compared to other 5th gen Accords and 5th gen Civics I have seen. But we must remember that we bought Accords and asside from the 2% of V6s that experience tranny problems, the Accord is a damn fine car for the price.

To me the mechanics are solid. If people want a better fit and finish I suggest they look into buying a car from Europe that has a price tag of over $30,000.
:werd:
Old 05-09-2003, 04:02 PM
TypeSH

isnt this like common knowledge? quality control has begun declining w/ US produced honda's vs the early 90s where a good number were exported from japan.

6th gens were almost all produced in ohio... and had a larger share of probs than 5th gens... which in turn appear to be less solid than 4th gens.

either way, the balancer seal problem seems to be a problem w/ the design of F and H series motors, not an issue due to quality control. All F/H series motors should have the retainer fix installed ASAP.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:35 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by TypeSH
All F/H series motors should have the retainer fix installed ASAP.
I just had mine done two months ago
Old 05-09-2003, 04:57 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

i have to say that the paint on the passenger side of my car IS NOT the same compared to the drivers side. even when waxed up, there seems to be a paint swirl and blurr. bastards ...
Old 05-09-2003, 07:21 PM
cwa107

I agree with the paint complaint, although I've seen some crappy factory paint on Honda products of all models, and years. That's not to say that paint is crappy on all Hondas, but I have seen a few examples.

The hood on my car (02 EX) is slightly uneven. Since it's still relatively new, I haven't put a first coat of wax on it yet, but it doesn't look like swirl marks or clearcoat defect. A coworker with an 02 SE had paint chipping off her mirror.

As I understood it (and correct me if I'm wrong), Honda has been building the majority of their cars in Ohio since the late 80's. Is that not true?
Old 05-09-2003, 07:30 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

I don't know what world you guys live in, but please go buy something other then a Honda and you will be back in no time flat.

As for the 99 clutch, they had some bad master cylinders for the clutch. Which is made in Japan not US.

Love my Cord, Love its paint, hate my S-10, & wish honda would make a truck.

Honda hasn't mastered the tranny? Are you on crack? Honda's FWD manuals are the best in the world...did you ever own another car's manual, the Honda shifter is like silk. As for the V6 tranny issue...they admitted to it and are working on it. However, lots of friends I know own V6Cords and none have ever had an issue. It only affected around 5% of all trannies on Cords very small for most car companies. Would you like to see the list of Recalls I have for parts on my truck, its a 1997? I usually get one letter a month, no joke.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:37 PM
jschmid

Good thing my sixth gen was built in Japan.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:42 AM
cooliojones

On that paint thing, mine is horrible. I polished it twice w/ Finish First, and it felt so smooth and looked great. Then one day I took it to the car wash and I swear I think one of those girls used a Armor all rag to dry the car because now the passenger side is rough, almost like "smooth sandpaper" if that makes any sense. The driver's side is ok though, and I told them there is no way you can polish a car 2 weekends in a row and all of the sudden, a couple of weeks later (a month @ the most) it becomes worse???