Notices

Who has cut down their 5th gen shifter?

Old 05-08-2003, 05:23 AM
96Vtec
Hollywood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has cut down their 5th gen shifter?

Just curious of all that have cut down the height of the shifter. How much did you take off? I did this with my old Prelude and I am thinking of doing it with the accord since there are no short shifters made for it. Are those shift adapters worth the money or do most of you use them with the cut down shifters?
Old 05-08-2003, 05:28 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

i think it would be easier to get a 92-96 lude shifter from a junkyard.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:10 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Default Re: Who has cut down their 5th gen shifter?

Originally posted by 96Vtec
Just curious of all that have cut down the height of the shifter. How much did you take off? I did this with my old Prelude and I am thinking of doing it with the accord since there are no short shifters made for it. Are those shift adapters worth the money or do most of you use them with the cut down shifters?
I haven't done it yet, but I'm gonna do it, and when I do, the shifter is getting cut like a inch, inch and a half.

Originally posted by AccordSleeper
i think it would be easier to get a 92-96 lude shifter from a junkyard.
easier? doubt it. quicker, maybe:dunno:
Old 05-08-2003, 08:54 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

Default Re: Re: Who has cut down their 5th gen shifter?

Originally posted by VRGNCD5
I haven't done it yet, but I'm gonna do it, and when I do, the shifter is getting cut like a inch, inch and a half.

easier? doubt it. quicker, maybe:dunno:
why don't you think it would be easier. you have to take out the old shifter and put it back either way. at least you forgo cutting and making some threads for the knob to screw on. or i guess you could cut it in 2 places to cut a piece out and weld the two together.

i think the hardest part would be locating a donor shifter.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:53 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

I cut my shifter... about 1.5".

I first had a B&M short shift adapter on the stock shifter... made a pretty big difference in the throw of the shifter... which made for slightly faster shifts... but not good enough for me yet. (note: dont pay $75 for the B&M adapter, get the generic ones on ebay, same thing!)

I took the shifter out of the car, cut at the stock weld point... and grinded off the old weld... I cut the shaft down to where I thought would be good (about 1.5") and rewelded it to the base. You cannot cut the top of the shifter off, the shift shaft is hollow and you WILL NOT be able to re-thread it.

Overall I was very pleased with the shortness... but I still wanted more... so I took the tenzo type-R knob off and replaced it with a WRX/momo leather knob I bought from Subaru ($82), which is threaded all the way to the top of the knob, so it sits lower on the shaft and again, shortens the throw and length of the shaft. Now I am happy.

The WRX knob was not a direct fit, as the threads are larger in that knob, so I used a threaded insert on the shaft, and then threaded the knob onto that to make for a tight fit.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:17 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Default Re: Re: Re: Who has cut down their 5th gen shifter?

Originally posted by AccordSleeper
why don't you think it would be easier. you have to take out the old shifter and put it back either way.
Because you don't have to remove the shifter if you just cut it down and re-thread it. But I also have never taken a shifter apart so I don't really know if it's all the difficult or not, but I know i'd rather not do it if at all possible.

Originally posted by SumAccordGuy94
I cut my shifter... about 1.5".

You cannot cut the top of the shifter off, the shift shaft is hollow and you WILL NOT be able to re-thread it.

I don't know if they made the shifter hollow on the EX for weight reduction but on my LX, the shaft is solid:dunno:
Old 05-08-2003, 06:44 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Who has cut down their 5th gen shifter?

I don't know if they made the shifter hollow on the EX for weight reduction but on my LX, the shaft is solid:dunno:
Have you cut it yet? it looks solid at the tip where the threads are because it is up there, but once the shaft gets large below the threads it is hollow... you'll see when you cut it.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:23 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who has cut down their 5th gen shifter?

Have you cut it yet? it looks solid at the tip where the threads are because it is up there, but once the shaft gets large below the threads it is hollow... you'll see when you cut it.
oh ok, I see what ur talking about. Dizzam, good looking out bro, I was gonna cut mine this weekend too That would have sucked major ass
Old 05-08-2003, 08:49 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who has cut down their 5th gen shifter?

oh ok, I see what ur talking about. Dizzam, good looking out bro, I was gonna cut mine this weekend too That would have sucked major ass
yeah, you'd need one of those universal knobs that mount with set screws. If you could even get it on there... that shaft gets kinda big.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:05 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who has cut down their 5th gen shifter?

yeah, you'd need one of those universal knobs that mount with set screws. If you could even get it on there... that shaft gets kinda big.
I could have sworn I seen a Neuspeed short shifter for a 5th gen Accord a couple weeks ago, maybe I'm gonna have to wait and just do it right.