Notices

Remote Start on the '03's

Old 04-08-2003, 10:16 PM
NightShift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start on the '03's

I was thinking about the feature on the 03 Accords that won't let you start the car unless it gets the signal from the special key that you put in the ignition.

So, bearing that in mind, will it be possible to install a remote starter on the 03 Accords since the key won't be in there?
Old 04-09-2003, 02:04 AM
Fast_Draw
03 Accord Owner

Yes, I'm going to have it done myself., You just need a bypass for the immobilizer - which many remote starts come with anyways.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:17 AM
Soulja
HAN's resident 5-0

Yes, I had it done on my 01. they stick a little black box behind your dash with your immobilizer code in it.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:46 AM
TriKKy

Only problem is that you have to give up one of your keys, which they are charging about $120 for.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:07 AM
jpeso25

You can also use your valet key that way u still have two keys on hand...also if your getting this done make a decision on if your leaving it in for the lifetime of the car. If that is the case then have the shop that does the alarm shave or break your key off and just leave the chip portion of it. That way if someone breaks in they wont have a functioning key to your ride
Old 04-09-2003, 05:32 AM
TriKKy

Oh right, the other great thing with these keys: valet key costs you as much as a regular one...same $120...go figure. I like having a valet key..protects my stuff. I have 3 masters though....but giving one of those up just seems stupid. Either way...winter is almost over (I say that with little confidence since we had an ice storm last friday...and some places still have no power...and then 2 days ago we got 4.8 inches of snow....) and I only really warm up my engine (and my interior for that matter) when it's cold outside. In the summer no real need for the starter.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:35 AM
TriKKy

Oh and yeah...if you do have it installed definitely have them break the key.
I was quote $219 for the whole deal....was only $100 last winter when I put it in my other car...but that had no immobilizer...pffftt.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:37 AM
jpeso25

i still use my remote starter in the summer because leather can be very hot even with 20% percent tints....i just leave the a/c on when i leave the car and when i get back in later in the day its already cooled off.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:26 AM
BustedLX
Rice Rocket

DEI has some new moduels now that are more capable of learning the OEM keys signal so you don't have to give up your key.

Some times with new cars though you just have to secure an OEM key in that box so it can transmit the correct code everytime the remote start is operated.

I don't work in auto alamrs anymore but I remember when doing installs of remote starts on luxury vehicles that was a huge issue.

If you have to give one up I'd give up the spare master and keep one master and valet. Then one day just order the new master from the dealer since you say they are both the same price.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:56 AM
dantastic
cx power!

they have boxes that "learn" the code from a key. that way u dont have to give up a key. the box is only activated when the remote start is, so u the passive protection is still there. www.autotoys.com sells them