Notices

Tires speed rating - T vs V

Old 06-04-2010, 11:07 AM
ker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires speed rating - T vs V

Anyone have any experience or informed opinion on running T rated tires on a 3.2 TL instead of the recommended Vs?
Old 06-05-2010, 08:25 AM
cruzalekz

those letters actually have max speeds that represent each letter. V means you could go faster that T rated without blowing up the tire. but hey, who drives cars everyday for over 90 miles per hour. my opiniion is, i think you could use a T rated tire on your car.

Last edited by cruzalekz; 06-05-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Carbuff

Originally Posted by cruzalekz
those letters actually have max speeds that represent each letter. V means you could go faster that T rated without blowing up the tire. but hey, who drives cars everyday for over 90 miles per hour. my opiniion is, i think you could use a T rated tire on your car.
V = rated for continuous speeds of 149 MPH

T = rated for continuous speeds of 118 MPH

Usually there are differences on tire construction that allow the higher speeds, such as more belts, different materials, etc. You may notice a difference in fuel economy, steering input, or noise.

But I agree that in everyday driving you probably would not notice the difference. (I am running T rated Falken 912s for two years, no issues)

And, here is something to think about: Snow tires do NOT usually carry speed ratings. They don't say NOT to fit snow tires....