Notices

Blew the H22

Old 03-31-2003, 10:40 AM
djmtsu
nopistons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blew the H22

And not as in forced induction. I have no idea what happened. It had been running very well lately, which I always see as a sign of trouble.
So I was heading towards a turn lane doing like 25mph, the arrow turns yellow. I was in a hurry so I nailed it. Tires broke loose and some pretty white smoke was blazing off the tires. I was like woohoo, untill right as I approached the intersection, then....BANG!! Went around the corner and coasted it into Wendy's. It was still running, barely, and making all kinds of knocking and awful metal on metal scraping. I shut her down, look back, and see a nice stream of steaming oil leading up to the rear of the car. Look under, and hello, a nice big hole in the oil pan.

So anyway, pulled it home, jacked it up, and pulled the pan off. Threw a rod. Took off the valve cover and the whole valvetrain looks somewhat tweaked.

I have no idea what happened, it wasn't redlined, I haven't been abusing it at all. The whole idea of the swap for me was added reliability and longevity, since the original engine had 170K+ on it. Well, that was on Thursday, and now I finally have the F22 back in it. Let me tell ya, the power difference doesn't seem like much until you switch BACK to the F22, now I am just slow and low. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

On a lighter note, my friend gave me his '90 Prelude, so maybe I will play with that for a while.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:43 AM
skabone69

Default Re: Blew the H22

that blows man, but at least you have a replacement to keep you going.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:45 AM
teamlegacy

Dayum, now that's some shyt. New motor anytime soon? How bout a warranty on the H22?
Old 03-31-2003, 10:48 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn sorry to hear about that.

So you gonna swap another H22 into it or leave it as is?
Old 03-31-2003, 10:48 AM
djmtsu
nopistons

No warranty, just start up. I am still unsure what the fate of the Accord is. Like I said I am getting a Prelude for free. Also I think next year I will be buying an RX-8. I will still keep the Accord, i love it, but I may just rebuild the F22 then start to play with it.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:53 AM
92lx

don't mean to exploit your problem, because that really sucks ....but if your interested, I'd be willing to buy your intake manifold (injectors, throttlebody and manifold).....email me: runnr4god@hotmail.com if your interested in selling it to make some money.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:56 AM
djmtsu
nopistons

Originally posted by 92lx
I'd be willing to buy your intake manifold (injectors, throttlebody and manifold).....email me: runnr4god@hotmail.com if your interested in selling it to make some money.
I would, but my friends have pretty much already looted the whole engine for spare parts and what not. Which I am cool with because they all got on the ball to help put the F22 in over the weekend while I was working.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:07 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

where did you buy it from so members will know not to buy from them.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:09 AM
djmtsu
nopistons

Osaka. It ran fine, for a few months. I put it in, back in like September, October I think.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:12 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by AccordSleeper
where did you buy it from so members will know not to buy from them.
Actualy I wouldn't say its the supplier at all. These things do happen. Generally engines are compression tested and thats about it regardless of where you get it from. They don't test run them except for compression check.

Any time you buy a used engine its a crap shoot and one in who knows how many is eventually going to have issues.

I doubt it has to do with the supplier at all...unless the threw sand in the block or loosened a rod