Notices

Painting stock plastic side skirst

Old 03-28-2003, 09:43 AM
silvagsr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting stock plastic side skirst

Ok I have searched all through this board, and I cant find any info on painting the existing black plastic side skirst on integras. Im trying to find out how to exactly do it. Do I have to sand them down first for what? Also i have a fiberglass front lip and i was wondering if anyone can give me suggestions on how to paint it as well.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:11 AM
SupaDave

I know this my not be the best way to do it. I have a white integra and I used white spray paint and painted the black stock skirts, side mirrors, small blk front lip and the black side modellings. I then spray a clear coat over it. Believe it or not, it looked pretty damn good. It definately made the car look better. Everybody who saw it, even my body man was impressed with what I did with spray paint. Maybe I had a some luck on my side, because white was easy to match for me. But the best way to do it is take it to a body shop. Hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:28 AM
mrhonda_187

take it to a body shop
Mine refused to touch it. Apparently they've done it in the past, and it just gets chipped off (or doesn't stick?) and people bring the cars back complaining in a week. I'd still like to find some way of doing this. I had a 'how-to' link, but it's the same as body shop would do... so I'd imagine it would chip the same. (yes I have mud flaps). I'll see if I can find that link.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:16 PM
ITRraceR

well from what i know the stock side skirts are hard to paint because the paint chips and doens't want to stick to them . Type r sied are pinted because when they are made in the factoryt the paint is injected in to the plastic making it color matched. A body shop told me that they have to first soak the skirts in to some kind of solution than prime it with special primer and than continue with the regular paint. But the final product is well worth it.
Old 03-29-2003, 05:49 AM
integraguy2001

I painted my side skirts, it was originally black, now it is white which matched my car... just take screws off, and sand it down, prime it. and paint it.. 3 times.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:18 AM
JGordon

I had a body shop paint mine. They warned me that the normal paint wear & tear warranty wouldn't apply because the paint might chip off.
However, it looks hella good. Definitely worth it. I just got back from a 1600 mile road trip, so I'll go take a look at them tomorrow in the light to see if its chipped.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:40 PM
silvagsr

I had a body shop paint mine. They warned me that the normal paint wear & tear warranty wouldn't apply because the paint might chip off.
So what were the prices on that work. I really wanna get this stuff done so I need to know how much flow I need.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:24 PM
JGordon

Originally posted by silvagsr
So what were the prices on that work. I really wanna get this stuff done so I need to know how much flow I need.
They quoted me $225 to paint the side skirts and the side moldings. I was having a bunch of other body work done at the same time, so I don't know if it was cheaper because they already had the paint mixed. However, they forgot to charge me that $225.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:43 PM
aux
More Black on Black Crime

this is what i did:

take off skirts
clean with soap and water
sand
clean again
use some Bulldog Adhesive promoter (thin layers)
paint. (thin layers)

more details here:

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...ght=DIY+skirts

detailed steps in the middle
Old 03-30-2003, 02:45 PM
aux
More Black on Black Crime

also, i think u should use primer instead of adhesive promotor for fiberglass.