Notices

Help with FAST IDLE THERMO VALVE

Old 03-20-2003, 07:17 PM
grip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with FAST IDLE THERMO VALVE

I've got idle issues that I've gone to the forum archives to find a solution to. I've replaced my vacuum hoses, cleaned my IAC, and bled my coolant of air. I narrowed the problem down to my Fast Idle Thermo Valve (removing the intake duct and plugging the lower port in the throttle body - this stopped the up-down engine surges and returned the idle to normal rpms instantly). But before I even try and remove that imposible to reach part (B18 engine) I need to know if it's even cleanable or is it one of those parts that shouldn't or can't be dismantled and therefore should just be replaced.

I've searched several OEM parts sites and can't seem to find this part. About how much would one of these go for at the dealer? Is it cleanable?

THANX

BTW - In searching the forum archives I noticed a lot of G3s were having the same idle problem I'm having - high idle at start-up (3000) then surges even after warm-up (1000 to 2200 or so). Just makes me wonder what Acura's doing differently, because I didn't start getting this problem until after I hit 245,000 miles on my G2. And I suspect that even had something to do with the fact that I was leaking oil into my coolant and constantly overheating for months before I finally changed my head gasket last summer.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:32 AM
90'RS

I don't have a real good answer for you but overheating can cause some crazy problems. Did this start after the overheating problem was fixed? One suggestion would be the tps (throttle positioning sensor). Good luck and maybe some othe people have better ideas.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:57 PM
grip

Yeah, it started after I replaced the head gasket to fix the overheating problem.

I've checked (and cleaned) the IAC. But the thing that really points to the fast idle thermo is the mad suction that I'm still getting from the lower port in the neck of the throttle body intake. There should be no suction at all after the engine warms up, because the only function of the fast idle thermo is to allow extra air in when the engine is cold. But even after my engine is hot, there's still enough vacuum on that port to clean a carpet. I figure that the air bypass valve iside the FIT is all gunked up with oil from the months prior to my head gasket change. It's probably just stuck open - cause it's got coolant running through the lower end of it where there's some plunger-type of device.