Notices

Nitrous Question?

Old 03-18-2003, 06:26 PM
v-teg01
Candy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous Question?

Whats up guys i have a 2001 GSR, and i need some help!

This summer i am hoping to have nitrous. I have been reading about it for some time and i feel i might be ready. I just need some feedback from some nitrous users. I know that ZEX makes dry kit that is cheap, very well made, and isnt that cuffusing. I heard that ZEX doesnt make a wet by the way is that true? So on i have been also looking at the NOS wet kit for safer use and maybe hgher shots with a few more mods later. I guess i am getting my self confused with all the talk about how dangerous its is, but i dont really think so, unless it is done right. But was there anything that you guys wish you had done before getting nitrous, or in the decision process, just using the right kit?

If there is anything you guys think i should absolutly know before buying nitrous just write back,THANKS!
Old 03-19-2003, 01:49 PM
stevieteg

Zex is a dry kit. It sucks. My friend melted two valves with zex. Get a safer wet kit. B18c's are too expensive to just use a crappy nitrous kit. NOS or nitrous express are good. Or even better go all motor!
Old 03-19-2003, 09:43 PM
Teg711
Purge This...

I agree, dry kit alot of times leads to lotsa detonation, wet kit is much safer, look into a plate system if ya want the best.
Old 03-19-2003, 11:34 PM
Teg711
Purge This...

these guys give better explanations

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...threadid=54744

good luck
Old 03-20-2003, 06:29 AM
v-teg01
Candy

I dont want the plate kit because i would have to put back on my stock intake mani. and that would be pointless. but are u sure ZEX doesnt make a wet kit, NOS is so expensive. And i havent read or heard much about NX.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:19 AM
newgsrdriver

ZEX does make a wet kit now.

A wet kit is safer on a stock motor since it physically adds fuel with the nitrous instead of relying on a signal for increased pressure.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:08 AM
Teg711
Purge This...

Okay, I don't see why you would have to put your stock intake manifold on for any kit. This link has guys with skunk2 IMs running direct port kits as well as plate kits.
https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...ntake+manifold

I was pretty sure Zex doesn't make a wet kit, go to there website, it explains the install. I believe they put the NO2 by the throttle body so it can mix with the incoming air as opposed to a wet kit which mixes with the fuel from your injectors. I searched there site as far as teg applications go and only found 1 kit which I believe is a dry kit. But maybe you should give them a call

From the Zex website: Unique design provides perfect atomization of nitrous with intake air supply

also from their website: Do I need to upgrade my fuel kit to use your kit?

Our kit was designed and tested for use with stock fuel kits. It will perform properly on stock and mildly modified engines, i.e. header, K&N filter, exhaust, etc. If major modifications have been performed, i.e. camshafts, heads, porting work, [/b]intake manifolds, [b]etc. It is strongly recommended that a fuel pump and injector upgrade be performed on your engine before using your ZEX nitrous kit.

Also the nitrous kits from NOS aren't really that much more then zex, maybe $20-120 more

As far as nitrous express goes I've heard good things and they have a couple kits, you should check it out.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:06 PM
newgsrdriver

Zex has traditionally done dry kits, but they do offer wet kits.

http://www.nipponpower.com/nitrous/zex_wet.html
Old 03-20-2003, 03:10 PM
dubcac
I

Originally posted by stevieteg
Zex is a dry kit. It sucks. My friend melted two valves with zex. Get a safer wet kit. B18c's are too expensive to just use a crappy nitrous kit. NOS or nitrous express are good. Or even better go all motor!
That's not the fault of it being a dry kit, that's either tuning or running the nitrous in succession a few too many runs. That's how you melt valves. I have been running a 75 shot dry for a long time now, no problems here, nor do anyone I know have problems with their dry kits.

Originally posted by Teg711

I was pretty sure Zex doesn't make a wet kit, go to there website, it explains the install. I believe they put the NO2 by the throttle body so it can mix with the incoming air as opposed to a wet kit which mixes with the fuel from your injectors.
This is wrong. The dry kit nozzle is tapped as far from the throttle body as possible to achieve even distribution of the nitrous with the intake charge. The added fuel comes from a raised fuel pressure, which adds fuel via the injectors. The wet single fogger kit is tapped close to the throttle body and sprays a fuel/nitrous mixture.

Wet kits are not necessarily better/safer than dry. If it is a single fogger wet kit, meaning there is one nozzle tapped in the air intake spraying fuel and nitrous, this can cause fuel to puddle in the intake manifold and ignite, causing an intake backfire. I have seen cars catch on fire from this. Sure a wet kit puts in it's own fuel, but a dry kit will add plenty of fuel via the fuel rail/injectors to make a good a/f mixture in the cylinder while spraying. With a wet kit you have the same problems with even cylinder distribution as you do with a dry kit.

The NOS plate kit will NOT work on a skunk2 intake manifold. The plate fits in between the two pieces of the stock GSR manifold, thus it won't work on the one piece skunk manifold.

Zex DOES make a wet kit now, however not a direct port kit...it is a single fogger kit.

If it was me, I would go with a NOS or NX direct port kit. They are pretty much the same thing, NX just uses bigger jets for what they call the same shot size to provide the illusion to the average joe that their kits make more horsepower. Since each intake runner will have its own nozzle, the nitrous and fuel will be distributed evenly to all cylinders. Plus if you decide to build the motor and run more nitrous, the direct port kit leaves room to go up in shot size, whereas with a dry kit or single fogger wet kit the 75 shot is pretty much the maximum before you have major distribution problems. If you never want to go above a 75 shot, I would go with a Zex dry kit for simplicity and safety.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:10 PM
v-teg01
Candy

wow
thanks for the info Teg711
That was perfect information, i'll look in to more of there sites. Thanks