Notices

05 TL Battery/Starter problems

Old 09-09-2009, 05:34 PM
DeltaIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 TL Battery/Starter problems

Has anyone experienced the following problems, if so can you help me with the next step? I purchased car in Aug 05, in July 06 battery was replaced, then in Aug 08 battery replaced again, and now Sept 09 I am having problems again with starting the car. The dealer claims as if it is now the starter... no warranty to help cover the cost. Could it have been my starter all the time and Acura just didn't want to cover it while it was still under warranty? Is there anyway I can check to see if my key/remote is demagnetized, since my problems started around the same time I was working out with a belt that contain 16 magnets? Please help, my car is my only means of transportation and with the economy in the position it is in, I can not afford spend unnecessary money.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:18 AM
cruzalekz

if youve been changing batteries almost yearly, something in your car is stay8ing on and draining it... its called parasitic drain.

you should get that check. it should be around 35 to 40 amps generally but differs in every car and manufacturer.

did you install aftermarket electronics in your car like subwoofer, navigation, etc...

you might need to change or step up your alternator to a high output ones
Old 09-13-2009, 11:46 AM
DeltaIT

I haven't added anything to my car and the only thing I leave on is my radio. I tooked it to Acura Wednesday and now they are saying it is the starter. I am wondering and have been told by other mechanics that it could have been the starter all the time... Acura just kept putting a new battery in it while it was still under warranty. Every dealership I called in the surrounding area say they have yet to put a starter in an 05 TL, my car must be one of kind. Is there any way I can check and see just how many 05 TLs have replaced starters or had that many issues with batteries.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Carbuff

Originally Posted by cruzalekz
it should be around 35 to 40 amps generally
I think you mean 30 to 40 MILLIAMPS. 40 amps would cause all the smoke inside the wires to escape!!!!

++++++++

If your car is off warranty, have an independent shop load-test the starter. I'd be inclined to think you have a loose connection on the large primary wires between the battery, starter, and alternator somewhere...or maybe just burned starter solenoid contacts.

Last edited by Carbuff; 09-13-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:08 PM
DeltaIT

I have been told by a independent mechanic (that) that it is the solenoid switch but I just can't purchase a switch alone anymore. He also stated that if I find someone to rebuild it, I might have other problems on down the road. How true is that?

Last edited by DeltaIT; 09-13-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Carbuff

Originally Posted by DeltaIT
I have been told by a independent mechanic (that) that it is the solenoid switch but I just can't purchase a switch alone anymore. He also stated that if I find someone to rebuild it, I might have other problems on down the road. How true is that?
I remember replacing just the starter contacts on an old Accord...but I just looked at one of the online dealers and there are no contacts in the 2005 starter that are replaceable.
http://acura.bernardiparts.com/SearchOptions.aspx

I have had good luck bringing my starters and alternators to a local Auto Electrical Shop. Prices are reasonable and I get the same unit back, (repaired).

My experience with mass-market replacement starters (from auto parts stores) is what your mechanic said, you never know what you are getting...often more problems crop up in a few months.

I still would hope that you could find a bad connection. Some new vehicles have problems on the crimps of the large electrical cables. These could be loose and corrode over time. Likewise, a loose or corroded attachment bolt on a ground wire can cause a no-start...
Old 09-14-2009, 04:49 PM
DeltaIT

Thanks you guys for all of your advice and tips. The serivce tech from Acura called today and told me that Corp is going to cover the cost of repairing my vehicle 100%. At this point all I can do hope for the best... they do a good job and I don't have any other problems down the road. For some reason or another I have a strange feeling that this is going to be the onset of other problems, I hope I am wrong.