Notices

97 Acura 3.0 CL irratic idle

Old 08-15-2009, 05:42 PM
JDubya84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Acura 3.0 CL irratic idle

Yesterday my car started idling high on the highway. Then once I stopped the engine idled at 2200 RPM or so. I put the car in Park, then it started to go up to 2200 then down to normal then back up over and over. The check engine light finally came on today. The code was PO122 TPS low input. I checked all of the vacuum lines and found no leaks. The throttle body is very clean as I cleaned that out last summer.

My CL has 210000 miles on it and has been fairly well taken care of. I bought it last summer with an inoperable drive train and poor suspension. I replaced the entire drive train and fixed the suspension.

Up until yesterday it has never given me any serious problems. Last summer I had an EGR code trigger the check engine light. I replaced the EGR valve and solved that code.

Any advice/thoughts/knowledge would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-21-2009, 10:38 AM
zurc60

Default i'm getting the same problem

Did you ever find out the problem? I have the same model Acura as yours and
am about to change the Air Idle Control valve. I hope this works.
Any advice you have would be helpful.
Also, do you know how to reset the check engine light????
Old 08-26-2009, 12:16 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Check your idle control valve.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:22 AM
cruzalekz

your snanner is pointing you already to where the problem is... tps you said.

so, what you do is check that circuit and change it if it fails the test.

how many wires?

1ground, 5v, and the signal wire. easy as pie
Old 09-03-2009, 08:23 PM
zurc60

Default the infamous erratic idle problem

So I finally fixed the problem after not driving the car for 3 weeks.
Problem was the Idle Air Control Valve as suspected. Bought the
IAC valve at the Honda dealership, ($212) which was close to my home, rather than Acura 15 miles away. (98 Accord LX V6) Also had to buy a $3.50
throttle body gasket which I had to remove to take off the IACV properly. As soon as I started up the car after installation, the check engine light immediately turned off and never came back on.

Recently changed the oil, filters (A & O), plugs, cap and rotor. Car runs
really smooth and the tach needle is hella steady. Everything runs at it should
and engine should be good for another 100k. Has only 130k right now.
This job's total cost was about $220 and took no more than 2 hrs labor.
Thanks to all for everyones insight and comments.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:11 PM
JDubya84

Zurc60,

I had to replace my IAC valve last summer as well. This was a completely different trouble code though. My Acura CL has about 212000 on it and now the TPS is throwing this code. I have not had time to finish fixing this issue and have been driving my 93 Integra. I am actually going to start the repair today. Unfortunately Acura does not sell just the Throttle Position Sensor. They sell the entire Throttle Body with a new TPS and one other sensor on it, MAP I believe? The Throttle Body is like 500 from Acura and so far I have not found another option other than drilling the TPS out and replacing it with an after market TPS. http://www.tornactive.com/pd-blackwo...dhf-series.cfm
Old 01-11-2010, 02:30 AM
dommydak
Banned

P0122 is Throttle Position low voltage input. Tough to diagnose. Could be a problem with the throttle body, PCM, or associated wiring between them. Assuming of course that the CL TPS system is similar to the RL set-up.
================
plus size fishnet body stocking
cosmetics online
Old 01-11-2010, 06:03 AM
JDubya84

Default Problem solved! :D

Solution= Hours of troubleshooting with a Snap On Scan Tool. TPS sensor replaced, although I am not entirely sure that it needed to be. IAC Valve was stuck. I took apart the Throttle Body then took the IAC off to thoroughly clean it. There was a lot of gunk in it, 212,000 miles worth of gunk Cleaned all the rest of the carbon on the Throttle Body and then sealed it all back up. PERFECT It now runs like a champ once again

If any one is considering replacing their TPS, know that you will need a scan tool that is able to tell you the voltage readings for the TPS so that you can adjust it properly.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:18 AM
kevlarr33

Default cleaned the manifold and now this "vroom vroom without gas!

after cleaning my Acura 99 3.0 manifold and throttle body everything went good except now I have a erratic idle too??? may be TPS or throttle cables to tight?I don't know any help will do!thanks.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:50 PM
kevlarr33

Originally Posted by kevlarr33
after cleaning my Acura 99 3.0 manifold and throttle body everything went good except now I have a erratic idle too??? may be TPS or throttle cables to tight?I don't know any help will do!thanks.
cables are fine Maybe its because I cleaned the manifold and throttle but never clean the AIC Valve?????:tsk::loco: