Notices

Acura 2.2, new clutch same clutch problem

Old 02-06-2009, 10:20 AM
shiggity311

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura 2.2, new clutch same clutch problem

I have a 97 Acura CL 2.2 5-speed with 113k miles. 2 weeks ago my clutch was slipping so had my usual mechanic replace the clutch (fly wheel & clutch kit) along with the 2 front ball joints and 4 brakes. Afterwards I discovered that my car runs well the first time I drive it in a given day but as I drive it more the clutch gives me some trouble. When I try to put it into gear sometimes (after being driven for a while) it doesnt get into gear smoothly and makes a grinding sound that continues while in gear until i start moving. As I drive it I find that the clutch slips and doesnt grab well when accelarating (up hill especially). I thought it might be the slave cylendar so I had that changed and it seemed to fix the problem but only until the next day then same ol. The clutch peddal has good pressure and takes hold about 3/4 of the way off the floor. The frustrating part is that it drives well the first half of every day but not later. If it isnt the clutch or slave cylinder (new) what on earth could it be?? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Carbuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One can only hope your mechanic didn't see any evidence of oil leakage (engine main seal).

Other things it could be are less than optimal flywheel thickness (was it turned?) or an adjustment on the clutch fork. If he replaced the throw-out bearing and it wasn't the exact same size this could affect clutch throw.

You could also have a bit of air in the hydraulics.

Regarding your shifting difficulty, you should check the amount of trans lube RIGHT AWAY to make sure the proper amount is in there. Does your mechanic use Acura/Honda fluids?

These are the easy things to check. You may be needing to have the 'box removed for clutch inspection, again.