Notices

Honda Advice

Old 12-17-2002, 11:03 AM
Coop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Advice

Hey all, thinking about getting out of my SUV and into a peppy honda, and i'm looking for some advice on what to look for ie. bad years etc. i test drove a 98 accord 4cyl vtec coupe today and wow pretty damn fun, the prob is it's got 190000km (118000mi)on it -but also at a decent price ($10000cdn)!

so what do you guys think, obviously i'll be taking it to a mechanic to have it checked out (the check engine and maint lights were on!), or should i spend a couple grand more for a lower milage car?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-17-2002, 11:19 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No trouble spots at all for the 98-02 Accord except for the transmission in V6 models. However, that's an extremely rare occurence. People make a big deal out of it because it's the only thing that has gone wrong with the 98-02 Accord.

118k is nothing for a Honda. If maintained properly, that engine should reach at least 250k miles. However, take it to a mechanic before you buy it and have it checked out. The maintenance required light just indicates the person you are buying it from isn't receiving regular maintenance, but the check engine light can be alot of things. Probably the 02 sensor, nothing major. Just have Valvoline or Pep Boys or some place like that hook the ECU up to a computer and diagnose the problem. So I would just get the car checked out and have the owner pay for the maintenance or take it out of the cost of the car.

What model Accord is it - LX or EX? What color? I have a 98 San Marino Red LX-V6. I love her

Chris
Old 12-17-2002, 11:19 AM
VTECseoul
i love my wife's (y)

buy a 2K model, it has a better build quality. Honda changed minor details for better fit&finish. & get the V6 model, the I-4 isn't worth it.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:21 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally posted by VTECseoul
buy a 2K model, it has a better build quality. Honda changed minor details for better fit&finish. & get the V6 model, the I-4 isn't worth it.
That's pretty bad advice IMO. The I-4 and a 5 speed are not that much slower than the V6. He's getting one hell of a deal, why spend twice as much just to get a V6 and better fit and finish?
Old 12-17-2002, 11:52 AM
Coop

yeah, thinking about this one in particular in order to get the monthly$$ down. i actually dunno if its a lx or dx what's the diff? it's got pdl,pw cassette no sunroff unfortunately...must be a dx i think. as for the colour its kind of a silvery finish, dunno the exact term but i'm sure it's cheesey -my 4runner is desert dune!

my second choice is a 98 sedan with avg kms on it and upgraded headers, exhaust ,upgraded anti sway bar etc. he is only asking $3000 more than the coupe! haven't driven it yet, it could be in need of some work, if he has done all the upgrades and is selling it at a decent price...

anyway i don't want to get stuck with a high maintenance coupe (although i love the look) when a damn fine sedan (black) is a pretty close second -guess i'll have the mechanic check it out sometime this week, now all i have to do is learn to drive a 5spd!
Old 12-17-2002, 12:06 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally posted by Coop
yeah, thinking about this one in particular in order to get the monthly$$ down. i actually dunno if its a lx or dx what's the diff? it's got pdl,pw cassette no sunroff unfortunately...must be a dx i think. as for the colour its kind of a silvery finish, dunno the exact term but i'm sure it's cheesey -my 4runner is desert dune!

my second choice is a 98 sedan with avg kms on it and upgraded headers, exhaust ,upgraded anti sway bar etc. he is only asking $3000 more than the coupe! haven't driven it yet, it could be in need of some work, if he has done all the upgrades and is selling it at a decent price...

anyway i don't want to get stuck with a high maintenance coupe (although i love the look) when a damn fine sedan (black) is a pretty close second -guess i'll have the mechanic check it out sometime this week, now all i have to do is learn to drive a 5spd!
They don't make DX for the Coupes. LX has cloth seats, EX has leather optional and has a CD changer, automatic climate control, power seats, moonroof. So what you have is an LX. The color is called Satin Silver Metallic...not cheesy at all

You can get a 6CD Change from Honda on www.handaaccessories.com for like $450. I had a finlandia moonroof on my old Accord installed for only like $400...it was very nice.

I'm confused as to why you think the Coupe will be high maintenance. It has the same engine as the sedan you listed. I tend to steer away from modified cars...odds are the owner wasn't nice to it. As I said, the F23 in the Accord Coupe you're looking at should run to 200k without requiring major maintenance. Personally, I would get the Coupe, especially if you like the look of it better.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:59 PM
Accordacer

wowo 98 with some many miles. although its noting for honda but still wat the hell was the privious owner doing? living in the car? i have 94 with 74k original
Old 12-18-2002, 11:48 PM
AcCoRd97Lx
Jordan ModaratOr

thats funny cuz im thinking bout leaving the import scene for an SUV i just don't have money for it. if ya go honda, go accord tho cuz i think the body styles on all years are really nice, and can't fight the reliability on any honda tho