Notices

Question about "Crankshaft Keyway"

Old 12-11-2002, 06:48 AM
T-RO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about "Crankshaft Keyway"

1994 Civic EX Coupe

I was cleaning out some junk from the previous owner of my car that was in my glovebox. I found something from a repair shop and dont know what it means.

Heres what it says:
During the repair process (they replaced the water pump) we noticed that the Crankshaft keyway is worn. The Crankshaft pulley is being held in place with the keyway and crankshaft in its current condition; however, we are unaware of how long it will hold.
Apparently a warranty inspector checked it out at the time and said it wasnt damaged enough to warrant a repair.

This was written in Aug of 2001. Is it something I should worry about and check out? I dont know what a crankshaft keyway is. What should i look for when inspecting it? I need to do any inspection myself cause I'm broke.

Thanks all
Old 12-11-2002, 08:11 AM
qtiger

There is a small notch in your crankshaft which holds a key. This key holds on your crank pulley.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:13 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by qtiger
There is a small notch in your crankshaft which holds a key. This key holds on your crank pulley.
It doesn't actually 'hold on' your pulley - the bolt does that. The crank pulley has a notch in it and slides over this key so that it turns with the crank. Without this, the pulley wouldn't turn with the crank.

Get it?
Old 12-11-2002, 08:15 AM
qtiger

Originally posted by westcoaststyle
It doesn't actually 'hold on' your pulley - the bolt does that. The crank pulley has a notch in it and slides over this key so that it turns with the crank. Without this, the pulley wouldn't turn with the crank.

Get it?

Just trying to keep it simple. That key is mostly there to hold the pulley on the crank on the assembly line until it gets to the station with the impact. The crank bolt probably puts enough force on the pulley to hold it there without the key.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:29 AM
SpeedRacerEX-R

It's definitely the bolt that holds the pulley on. The key is just to make sure everything is lined up right and stays lined up while tightening.