Notices

best way to clean and degrease wheels?

Old 12-10-2002, 04:38 PM
HLD_Civic
se7en

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to clean and degrease wheels?

just got my si wheels today. but they're very greasy and dirty. is there a product that you can degrease wheels with. normal soap won't do the trick. it's like brake dust and crap on them. also, who makes a good polish to clean 'em up nicely. i need something to do through winter to get them nice looking and ready to go for spring! thanks.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:53 PM
90TGP

Simple Green will work wonders on grease. Might want to do this at a carwash [do-it-yourself place], but a high pressure nozzle on your hose will work too.

Soak the entire wheel in SG, just layer the wheel. Let it sit for a few minutes. Take a sponge with some texture [but make sure it won't scratch the finish] and use a lot of elbow grease. Use more SG wheen needed. Take a clean trash can or heavy duty plastic storage container [very cheap at local dollar stores] and fill it with lots of water. Soak the wheel in the water. Then hose the wheel off [preferably a pressurised hose like the do-it-yourself car washes have]. Let dry.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:55 PM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Mother's wheels polish does wonders to make them suckas shine.:thumbup:
Old 12-10-2002, 05:37 PM
str8edgexx

Simple green is great at getting stuck on grease off....you may have to spray it on and scrub it off a few different times, but it should definitely do the trick. Once you get all the grease off, throw a nice LIGHT coat of wax on the wheels, and it'll make them shine, and protect them. After you've waxed them, next time they get dirty (with dirt, brake dust, etc), you can just spray them with a hose and wipe them off, and the stuff will come right off....none of that crap will stick to the wax.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:50 PM
Tirod

there are few acids out there that work perfect w/o damagin the clear coat on your wheel.. we had this when i was a lot tech where i sale now... i shined some pretty digusting wheels.. it really helps in wheels that have spaces that fingers wont go (buick)...

then after you rinse, use ammonia-free glass cleaner all over it and wipe it all off.. you could also look into some aluminum polish for silver and chrome wheels
Old 12-11-2002, 03:22 AM
HLD_Civic
se7en

thanks a lot for all of your help. i'll try it this weekend, and let you know how it works!
Old 12-11-2002, 08:54 AM
supapoopa
Nissan: Shift_Recall

Originally posted by randomtask77
Mother's wheels polish does wonders to make them suckas shine.:thumbup:
jup. :thumbup: