Notices

amazing mileage

Old 12-09-2002, 02:04 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amazing mileage

I just have to brag for a minute. One of my sols (the 93 Si) currently has an engine from a 95 civic ex (d16z6) in it, and I'm getting about 40 mpg. I'm using a dx tranny (don't rag on that, the car started as an auto ) and just have intake and a fart pipe on it! Just seems insane to me. I'm happy since this is my "winter beater" and my other sol gets to be stored this winter!
Enough bragging!
Old 12-09-2002, 03:54 PM
skratchnsnift
boom

:jawdrop:

i'm jealous
Old 12-09-2002, 05:29 PM
DelSolSIinMD
Le Grand Illusion

The best I've ever done is 35 in my 94 Si... but lately, the best I'm doing is around 30. The car never totally warms up in the 20-degree weather we've been getting. It will only get all the way up to under the halfway point if the heater is off - which, of course, is unbearable. Otherwise it hovers somewhere just between the top of the "C" and below the first hash mark. So with the car not reaching peak operating temp., my mileage must be suffering.

On a side note, anyone know why the car won't reach and maintain normal operating temp.? I just changed plugs, wires, flushed the coolant, changed oil and filter, and all belts/water pump - all before this latest cold streak. My theory is that the cold air is chilling all the cooling system elements - block, hoses, heater core, etc. So when the car runs with the heater on, this ultra-cold coolant is running through lots of cold piping, and takes forever to warm up. I bet if I ran it long enough, all the various pieces would get warm enough and it would hold a steady temp, heater on or off. Anyone know for certain?
Old 12-09-2002, 05:34 PM

maybe you should try and tell us, drive you car for 5 hours and start revving it and tell us if it get to normal temp
Old 12-09-2002, 05:38 PM
93delsol

i got 39.9mpg in my sol once
Old 12-09-2002, 05:40 PM
solRNY

wah! the most i ever got from my sol was 25mpg i dont drive miss dazy around-j/k
Old 12-09-2002, 06:55 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

Originally posted by DelSolSIinMD
The best I've ever done is 35 in my 94 Si... but lately, the best I'm doing is around 30. The car never totally warms up in the 20-degree weather we've been getting. It will only get all the way up to under the halfway point if the heater is off - which, of course, is unbearable. Otherwise it hovers somewhere just between the top of the "C" and below the first hash mark. So with the car not reaching peak operating temp., my mileage must be suffering.

On a side note, anyone know why the car won't reach and maintain normal operating temp.? I just changed plugs, wires, flushed the coolant, changed oil and filter, and all belts/water pump - all before this latest cold streak. My theory is that the cold air is chilling all the cooling system elements - block, hoses, heater core, etc. So when the car runs with the heater on, this ultra-cold coolant is running through lots of cold piping, and takes forever to warm up. I bet if I ran it long enough, all the various pieces would get warm enough and it would hold a steady temp, heater on or off. Anyone know for certain?
You need a new thermostat bud. It's been about 15 degrees here lately, and it takes about 5-6 minutes for it to warm up.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:27 PM
DelSolSIinMD
Le Grand Illusion

5 hours, eh? Then start revving it? Who has that kind of time to kill driving, or revving? I think I'll stick to one of these other ideas...

It does sound like the thermostat - is it between the upper radiator hose and the block, like on CRXs? If so I'll just replace it myself - what temp. thermostat does a Del Sol need? 160?
Old 12-10-2002, 10:39 AM
BonzoAPD

wow thats amazing
Old 12-10-2002, 12:15 PM
Matt86
vtec ownz j00

impressing :thumbup: