Notices
Detailing Forum Advice on detailing from the experts.

Dent Removal Question

Old 09-12-2008, 09:53 PM
autofreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dent Removal Question

I have a dent on the rear door of my car that's not really worth taking to an autobody repair shop (I know, I know, dents are inevitable), but it just seems to draw my attention every time I approach my vehicle. I heard that dry ice is capable of removing dents, so here is my question, does dry ice damage the paint/clearcoat of vehicles? I know if I applied this method, I'd have to use thick gloves so as to not damage my biological paint. This dent isn't really that big of a deal, but if it can be easily fixed in a safe and effective manner by applying dry ice, then it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to attempt. I've also heard of Simonez Pops-a-Dent as a means of removing minor damage....so if you guys have any experience or information on such dent removal methods, I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.

p.s. its the first dent on my car, so as you can imagine, it just hurts me a little.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:18 PM
AcuraFanatic

You can try the dry ice method, it's not harmful to clearcoat by any means. Don't get your hopes up, as it probably won't work.

Most dealerships have paintless dent removal services that come through once a week to do trade ins/auction cars in preparation for resale. Ask your service advisor/manager at your local dealer if they have a reputable PDR guy in your area.

The best of them can make it look like nothing ever happened.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:52 PM
autofreak

Well I attempted this method but to no avail. Oh well, it didn't hurt to try (unless I hadn't used gloves). I suppose I'll swing by the dealership and get some sort of an estimate as to how much it would cost to get this minor (yet extremely annoying) ding fixed by the PDR guy, that's if they don't laugh me out of the dealership considering how small it is. So is dry ice dent removal a myth?....unfortunately so, at least in my experience.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:28 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Not saying this is wise by any means, for someone without experience, but are you sure (since you say it's so small) that you couldn't just gently ding it out from behind by removing the inner door panel?
Old 09-16-2008, 02:49 PM
autofreak

I've considered that option, but thought the process too extensive and risky, especially for a dent that was about the size of a dime in diameter. But if I changed my mind, however, how would I go about gently popping it out without causing further damage to my car? How would I remove the interior door panel from the passenger rear on my '08 Civic? What tools would I need? and where could I find them?

Last edited by autofreak; 09-16-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Samson
chris is the devil

pdr is the best route. its not that expensive.