Notices

Need reviews on Tein SS or JIC

Old 11-30-2002, 12:51 PM
blurr

Default Need reviews on Tein SS or JIC

My lil'bro's been *****ing about his suspension for the longest time (I don't blame him either.. his suspension is dead). I'm going to buy some coilovers to install them into his civic hatch to finally close the book in this matter.

So far, I feel that the tein's and jic are the the top two choices.

Owners of either systems, can you give a quick review? pros and cons.

If anyone else has a different coilover setup, please list it too. True coilovers only. I am not interested in coilover sleeves or spring/shock combos (I want to avoid any possible future complaints or regrets).

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:03 PM
tokyoracer
got JDM milk???

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need reviews on Tein SS or JIC

Originally posted by blurr
My lil'bro's been *****ing about his suspension for the longest time (I don't blame him either.. his suspension is dead). I'm going to buy some coilovers to install them into his civic hatch to finally close the book in this matter.

So far, I feel that the tein's and jic are the the top two choices.

Owners of either systems, can you give a quick review? pros and cons.

If anyone else has a different coilover setup, please list it too. True coilovers only. I am not interested in coilover sleeves or spring/shock combos (I want to avoid any possible future complaints or regrets).

Thanks in advance.
humm... i feel soo lucky for ur bro. with my brother would buy me car parts... lol. anyway, i've heard good things about tiens ss... the ride is great. my friend has it in his 95 civic, and another in his wrx. both are great. just don't get the pillow mount. it gets kinda noisy and makes the ride harsh. as for JIC... that was another brand i was debating on. my friend in socal has it in his 240sx... great for drifting... lol. rides kinda bumpy but livable. the one i have in my 00 ex are tanabe sustec pro ss. i posted where to buy and my reviews earlier. do a search. i got them for a great price... and i really loved it. driving straight and fast is boring... i love curves better... :thumbup: anyway, i got mine for 850 flat. that's something u can't beat. comparing to tiens... i think they are about the same... but then again, others may say i am biased... anyway, that's my 2 cents. hope that helped.
Old 11-30-2002, 02:32 PM
txhatch
I hate 2003 Noobs.

Tein ss are really soft and good for daily driving, but they suck for competition. If he just wants to slam it then they are pretty good, but not for racing.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:23 PM
blurr

Originally posted by txhatch
Tein ss are really soft and good for daily driving, but they suck for competition. If he just wants to slam it then they are pretty good, but not for racing.
hmm.. that was one of my concerns. I want to be able to select from firm aggressive street to competition.

thanks for the sustec review. i guess most of the coilovers i choose will be in the 800 range...

anyone else? thanks for your help in advance...
Old 12-01-2002, 06:24 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tein :naughty:
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 12-01-2002, 06:28 PM
txhatch
I hate 2003 Noobs.

You might want to look at tein HA's they are very nice.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:32 PM
randomtask77
Wanderer

hmm.. that was one of my concerns. I want to be able to select from firm aggressive street to competition.

thanks for the sustec review. i guess most of the coilovers i choose will be in the 800 range...

anyone else? thanks for your help in advance...
Just curious, but you mentioned the sustec review. Isn't the sustec by Tanabe? Although I don't have personal experiences with Tanabe coilovers, I felt that it should be one of your options as well besides the two you're considering now. Just thought I'd give you the heads up.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:53 PM
blurr

Originally posted by randomtask77
Just curious, but you mentioned the sustec review. Isn't the sustec by Tanabe? Although I don't have personal experiences with Tanabe coilovers, I felt that it should be one of your options as well besides the two you're considering now. Just thought I'd give you the heads up.
It is on my list of considerations. that was my reason for thanking tokyoracer on his review of sustec on the above post.

thanks tho
Old 12-02-2002, 08:23 AM
tokyoracer
got JDM milk???

It is on my list of considerations. that was my reason for thanking tokyoracer on his review of sustec on the above post.

thanks tho
no prob blurr... the sustec pro ss is nice. it has adjustable damping as well. front spring rate is at 6kg (13.23lbs) and rears are 4kg (8.82lbs). front has 1-4 setting and rear has 1-8 setting. optional springs can also be purchased, which is stiffer than the original ones by 20-30%. i've tried different settings... thus far... the suggested setting of front 2/ rear 4 is really stiff. i've also tried F2/R3 and it's better, but now i have F1/R2 which i think rear is a bit soft... it slides when i corner hard... so i will try F1/R3 next time. anyway, all in all, both tiens, tanabe, JIC, and other brand are well built. as for the JIC.. they have parts for you to rebuild if you should ever need to do an overhaul on the suspensions. as for tanabe... they don't do overhaul... therefore, they replace it for you at the same price you purchased it. so that's a added bonus. but regardless... tiens or tanabe, or jic... you will be happy. just make sure you got adjustable damping... it's handy.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:14 PM
4-banging

my buddy has APEXi N1 dampers on his 92 hatch. kinda pricey though...ride is a bit rough too but I wish I had those over my current suspension