Notices

power steering removal 98 ex

Old 11-30-2002, 12:20 PM
oc_civic
mcc racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering removal 98 ex

what do i need to do to NOT ghetto it up.. i removed the belt before and it was WAY tighter than NORMAL manual steering (my guess is cause of the fluid) so what exactly do i need to do to get to a NON power steering pump driven steering system.. can i remove the pump AND fluid? or will that make it worse??? help me out here.. lol
Old 11-30-2002, 12:40 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

My power steering just gave up yesterday. Im thinking about doing this....once I figure it out:

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=184202&page=1

My guess is that it is the fluid that causes it to be way tighter after the belt removal. Also I've read that removing all fluid is bad b/c there is no lubrication. I'm still reading up on this situation.
Old 11-30-2002, 12:47 PM
oc_civic
mcc racing

Originally posted by asiandoood
My power steering just gave up yesterday. Im thinking about doing this....once I figure it out:

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=184202&page=1

My guess is that it is the fluid that causes it to be way tighter after the belt removal. Also I've read that removing all fluid is bad b/c there is no lubrication. I'm still reading up on this situation.
the lubrication part is the SAME hurdle i am at...i believe the fluid is what makes it too tight... but i also believe removign it migth REALLY mess something up...
Old 12-01-2002, 12:16 PM
blazn 89 s10

you wil most likely need a new steering box. since a power steering box uses a hydrualic fluid to make the steering easier they can use a much steeper ratio... in a manual box since there is no helper the ratio isnt as steep thats why its easier to turn.. i dont believe taking the fluid out will help any in a steering box..