Notices

1998 Cl Stalls at high speed, Scary, Help!!!!

Old 05-10-2008, 10:40 PM
robert0001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Cl Stalls at high speed, Scary, Help!!!!

Hi Everyone, My car suddently stalls on the high way today at speed!!! It also cause a file-up accident , Please help!!! I really like this Acura Cl, but this problem is too scary to continue to drive this car!!!

I have been driving this 1998 Cl 3.0 for the last years. When I bought this car, the check engine light was on. But the private seller who had the car for many years told me that it was a cat converter problem and assured me not to worry about it. For the last 2 years, I did not have have a single problem with this car till recent.

It all happened about 1 month ago. While driving on a highway going 60 mile/hr, the car stalls suddenly!!! The engine shuts itself!!!The green light on the right of the dash came on as if I have just put the key in ignition but didn't turn it yet.

Everything like radio, heat, and lights were on and working perfectly. The experience was really scary!!! The car start right again after I pulled it over park it and restarted it.

I search this forum and learned that the ignition switch was a recall. Then I took the car to a local Acura Dealer. They were supposedly have change ignition switch and other things and fixed the recall problem on this model. It was free.

But after having the car back for a week, the car stalls again. This time it was on a local street. I then pulled over, drove it back to the dealer. They check the check engine light code and quoted me $1700 for replacing the ERG value and Cat converter. I told them I will ask a local mechanic before coming back to them. They charged $130 for reading the Check engine light codes.

I bought a new ERG value for $90 and a Cat converter for $100 online and have a mechanic put them in for $200. The check engine light was off for about 1 day and back on again the next day!!! But I thought the problem was probably fixed.

Today, the car stalled again on a high way. There was no place to pull over this time. The folks behind me almost hit me!!! I got stuck at a curve, it was hard for the drivers behind me to see me. I put the car in park, turn the ignition switch. But it will not turn on. Tried again and again,but the engine will not stay on. It was really really scary, I really freaked out...keep looking at the rear view mirror and pray that other driver will see me and stop on time...I keep turning the key , then after about 20 tries. The engine is finally on and stayed on. I drove the car home with fear.

Please tell me what to do...The car has now 132k miles, when I got it, it was only 87k. It drive perfectly like a new car except this scary scary persitanting problem.

Please advice what to do? Should I go back to the dealer? How can I be sure they have fixed the recall items? Should I take it to another mechanics? Please help!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 12:29 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no way for any of us to know the cause of your problem. Since this is a serious situation, you should take it to a competent Honda/Acura mechanic or to the dealer and get this problem corrected.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.