Notices

99 ACURA 3.0 CL problems?

Old 04-11-2008, 05:31 AM
mikefee1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 ACURA 3.0 CL problems?

I’ve been having problems with my car for well over a year now. Where to start about a year and a half ago I would come to a stop and my RPMs would drop and the car felt like it was going to stall but didn’t. When I take my foot of the break it kicks and makes a weird sound I don’t know if the sound is coming from the tranny. Sometimes when this idling problem happens I can take my foot of the break and the car will idle at 20 mph. The engine light came on the code was for the egr valve. I replaced the valve. It seemed a little better but it was still doing the same thing. Over the next several months it got worst .Its seems like when I drive the car for more than 20 minutes in stop in go traffic this problem would happen. Every time I would take to a mechanic he couldn’t duplicate the problem. The next day I would drive to work and about 30 minutes into my drive it would happen. About 3 months ago the car started stalling on me but not all the time it seemed like only when I didn’t let the car warm up
I had the alternator tested it seemed fine so I replaced the battery. The stalling seemed to stop for a while, but now it’s starting again but like I said only when I don’t let the car warm up. The weird thing about some of these Stallings was that the car would stall and while I am coasting start back up on its own and then the rear defrosters would turn on by there self. I don’t know if this will help but every time I am driving and take my foot of the gas the car seems to kick back I don’t know if I have tranny problems.

My car has 154,000 miles and I have not replaced the timing belt yet.

I have taken my car to 4 different places and no one can seem to find the problem its just costing me money to have them look at it. I want to fix this but I don’t know what to do, can anyone help?

Last edited by mikefee1; 04-11-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:23 AM
smgtech
Honda Powered.

Well thats kind of a hard one to diagnose with all those many factors. One thing i can help you with is the EGR problem...is the light still on? Well who cares if the light is on you got 154k on your car so you need to do this anyways with a V6 engine. Go to your local parts store i prefer advance and get 1 liter of seafoam. Ask them for it if you cant find it they will find it. Turn engine and ride around the block and back to get it good and warm. On the back side of your intake manifold (the big aluminum colored plenum thing) is a break booster line to the right there should be 3 rubber hoses there. Take off the small one that runs to the left into a 3 way plastic piece from the plastic piece and put that into the can of seafoam and SLOWLY extract 1/3 of the can into your intake manifold (their should be suction)! After you get 1/3 in there go and turn the engine off and let it sit for 5min. Ok turn the engine back on and be amazed at all that white smoke coming out of the tail pipe (dont worry this will not harm your engine if done correctly). Idle it for 3min and drive it around the block and back and that white smoke will eventually go away. What the smoke is from is carbon build up and it getting cleared out with seafoam. If your engine is running bad still then come on back to the forum for more info.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:26 AM
smgtech
Honda Powered.

Oh and P.S. you need to get your Time Belt replaced quick your over the 90K recommended limit...
Old 04-14-2008, 07:00 AM
mikefee1

I did the seafoam thing but I am still having the same problems
Old 04-14-2008, 08:54 AM
smgtech
Honda Powered.

Seafoam didn't work! When you replaced the egr valve a year ago did you see a bunch of black gunk down in holes the egr valve went into?

If not scratch that it could be a # possibilities but nothing for sure:
1.) Go to advance or autozone or anyone who will check the CEL light for free (if its on) get the codes and what they mean.
2.) fuel filter/fuel pump?
3.) tuneup (spark plugs, distributer cap, spark plug wires)? Also, how is that timing belt and serpentine belts replacement coming (not to good on my car as its going to cost me $715)?
4.) Also do you do the mandatory maintenance (air filter, oil, oil filter, etc...) every 7500miles?
5.) But since the seafoam did not work...if you know your egr port inside the intake manifold has never been cleaned (there is a difference in changing an egr valve and cleaning an egr port!)...then I would recommend you do that also (since the V6 is notorious for the port to be built up with carbon, mine had at least 2inch of hard carbon buildup that could only be drilled out)...do a search in the forums on here you will find out how to do it...its not hard).

For what you described one of the things listed above should fix the problem accept I am just trying to figure out why it only happens after being heated up for a while.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:13 PM
mikefee1

New problem.....I was driving home today and my car kept stalling...Once again the crazy thing is if I coasted the car would start back up on its own.It did this a few times and the other times it just stalled and would not start back up right away...anyways when I got home the car would not shut off I took the key out of the ignition and it was still running and i could put it in drive and drive the car with out the key in it.While it is doing this the battery,oil, key and srs lights were on and would not shut off.I had to pull a plug to shut car off

I was told I have an ignition problem
Old 04-21-2008, 09:15 AM
mikefee1

new problem fixed
it was the ignition switch
Old 04-21-2008, 04:52 PM
smgtech
Honda Powered.

I believe there was a recall on that I hope you checked that out because you could have got it done for free if you did not get it done for free?
Old 04-21-2008, 04:53 PM
smgtech
Honda Powered.

Either way your car is cleaner now since you did the seafoam you should be getting better mpg just for doing of that!
Old 04-24-2008, 06:51 AM
mikefee1

Next chance I get I am going to clean all the ports out,and I will do the seafoam again hopefully that will fix the problem