Notices

94 Legend check engine light

Old 12-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Mike Trautwein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Legend check engine light

Hello,

I am brand new to this site. It looks like there is a lot of knowledge here. I have a 1994 Acura Legend L. This was my wife's grandmother's car passed down to us with only 38000 miles. It has 52000 on it now and it has been a great car.

I plan on keeping it for a long time, so I want to stay on top of every little thing that comes up. I will throw a few questions out there and see what yall think. Thanks in advance for any info.

Just yesterday, the check engine light came on for the first time. I started it up in the morning and drove about 4 miles, then the light came on and stayed on. I stopped the car. and then restarted it and the light did not come on the rest of the day.

Same thing today, I started it up in the morning and drove about 4 miles and the light came on. Stopped for lunch and when I got back in, no light.

I lifted up the carpet on passenger floorboard and located a window with an amber led. When I turn the key to on, i get a quick amber flash and then nothing. I do not see a red led.

The car runs perfectly.

Question 2: Where is the air filter in the cabin. My air flow has decreased slowly and I suspect that the filter is the original.

Question 3: How do you turn off the factory alarm. I have to unlock the passenger door first and then walk around to the drivers side to avoid activating the alarm and upsetting my neighbors.

Thanks again for any help. I know I am a new member, but I am so glad I found this site. I plan to follow this board and participate in the giving and not just the taking. This car will be with me for a long time and I prefer to do the minor mechanical work myself.

Mike
Old 12-27-2007, 04:28 PM
L3GKANG
Prezz of ACURA-HOLIKS

Originally Posted by Mike Trautwein
Hello,

I am brand new to this site. It looks like there is a lot of knowledge here. I have a 1994 Acura Legend L. This was my wife's grandmother's car passed down to us with only 38000 miles. It has 52000 on it now and it has been a great car.

I plan on keeping it for a long time, so I want to stay on top of every little thing that comes up. I will throw a few questions out there and see what yall think. Thanks in advance for any info.

Just yesterday, the check engine light came on for the first time. I started it up in the morning and drove about 4 miles, then the light came on and stayed on. I stopped the car. and then restarted it and the light did not come on the rest of the day.

Same thing today, I started it up in the morning and drove about 4 miles and the light came on. Stopped for lunch and when I got back in, no light.

I lifted up the carpet on passenger floorboard and located a window with an amber led. When I turn the key to on, i get a quick amber flash and then nothing. I do not see a red led.

The car runs perfectly.

Question 2: Where is the air filter in the cabin. My air flow has decreased slowly and I suspect that the filter is the original.

Question 3: How do you turn off the factory alarm. I have to unlock the passenger door first and then walk around to the drivers side to avoid activating the alarm and upsetting my neighbors.

Thanks again for any help. I know I am a new member, but I am so glad I found this site. I plan to follow this board and participate in the giving and not just the taking. This car will be with me for a long time and I prefer to do the minor mechanical work myself.

Mike
buy a chiltons book and it will show you how to check for the codes and read them! to turn the alarm off just turn the k
the key in the door and hold it the alarm will go off and the cabin airfilter is under the dash behind the glove box! but the chilton book will show you all these!
Old 12-30-2007, 11:47 AM
ari_one

1. To get the code from the check engine light you need to short the connector under the carpet at the ecu, it is the connector that is plugged in on top to a holder. Once shorted (with a paper clip or something like it), turn the key to the ACC position and the check engine light will flash the code number.

2. As noted above the cabin filter is located on the blower assembly behind the glove box.

3. To keep the factory alarm from turning on you can short the connector by the hood release, that way you fool the car into thinking the hood is up and it will not arm the factory alarm.

All the above is really well described also on www.acura-legend.com where there are more legend owners.