Notices
Detailing Forum Advice on detailing from the experts.

using Duplicolor scratch repair kit...question

Old 11-27-2007, 02:35 PM
civicfan8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using Duplicolor scratch repair kit...question

Hi all,

Has anyone had any success with this kit? I used it to repair a few scratch marks and a few small dents here and there , and the result didn't seem close to being professional looking. I followed the instructions literally word by word and this is what I got:

1. ensured the surface to be painted with touch up paint is smooth by wet sanding with 800 grit and then 2000 grit sandpaper...

2. with a smooth surface, brushed a layer of primer, which caused the surface to be slightly rougher...so wet sanded it till it's smooth again..

3. applied the touch up paint, and this is where the problem is. This touch up is metallic and got some texture in it, so as soon as it's being applied, the surface is rough, so I wet sanded it according to the instructions and attempted to get the surface smooth again, but due to the 'texture' of this touch up, it won't be very smooth unless most of the touch up paint gets sanded away.

During this process, the surrounding area of the section being repaired got dull by this wet sanding..

So as it is, it's kind of smooth but not as smooth as before with the touch up paint...and then I applied the clear coat and wet sanded it again...

4. Then I used rubbing compound but didn't help much in getting the surface to look professional...while it's better than before the fix, the repaired surface is visible with a slightly different color...although the car is only a few months new with the exact touch up paint from the dealer...

So with this Duplicolor or any scratch repair kit, is this about the best I could get out of?

Thanks for any input..

Civicfan8

Last edited by civicfan8; 11-27-2007 at 02:39 PM.