Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Oil Change DIY, not everyone knows how

Old 02-20-2007, 07:11 PM
TegXPro92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change DIY, not everyone knows how

not everyone knows how, but now you do, its here the oil change DIY
if you have never done an oil change you probibly need one, so here is your chance, ammounts and componet locations may vary on other make engines, things you will need, or things I needed:

17 mm wrench or socket and rachet
oil filter wrench (optional)
new oil filter
3.5 - 4 quarts of new engine oil (i went with 4, check your manual for ammount)
drain pan (important but the obvious are sometimes overlooked)
shop towls
newspaper(optional)
jack stands
jack

to start, jack up the car and set on jack stands, and then its up to you to put down newspaper if you dont want oil on your driveway

locate the drain bolt and filter

put your drain pan under the drain bolt, if the drain is at an angle then anticipate the oil shooting out at an angle as there is quite a bit of oil in there

allow to drain completely

Remove oil filter

this is where it gets a bit messy, make sure you have towls and newspaper down if you actualy care beacuse its ging to be everywhere.

at this point open an oil bottle and dip your finger in and lightly lube the seal and you can prime it by putting a small ammount of oil in it and roll it around the inside.

then wipe the sealing surface down to get a good seal

screw on the filter until it just starts to touch the motor, then tighten another 3/4th of a turn

take off the oil fill cap

make sure the oil drain bolt is in and tight, then fill with oil

remove dipstick, and wipe on a clean cloth, not a shirt, replace and check oil level

run the engine for a little while, and check for leaks, and check the oil level

and make sure you use jack standsyou dont want to get under the car and have it fall on you, dont do what i did, i took my chances
anything i missed, let me know.