Notices
Detailing Forum Advice on detailing from the experts.

engine detaling

Old 05-02-2006, 08:54 AM
tafkamb2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine detaling

whats the best way to detail the engine cuz i want to do this before i put it in?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Detailed Image
Registered

First thing you want to do is warm up the engine slightly, this will aid in easier removal of grease and other contamination build up. Once it is warmed up, shut the engine off.

Next, cover all exposed electronics, intakes, and any other part that should not be flooded with water with aluminum foil. The reason for this is you can easily mold it around what you want to cover. (Just make sure you remember to remove it all before starting the engine again!)

Then you'll need a degreaser. We've had good luck with Poorboy's APC Bio-degradable degreaser and 303's Cleaner & Spot Remover or the more concentrated version 303 Fabric Cleaner (which you want to dillute according to what you plan on cleaning, usually 8:1 or 6:1 works well 303:water). Best thing about these products is that also work great as interior cleaners for carpets, vinyl, rubber, plastic and more. If you are looking for something locally, I'd probably suggest Simple Green. Wet the engine bay, including painted areas, to prep it for degreasing, then mist the degreaser starting from the bottom areas of the engine bay and working up to the top. Let the degreaser sit for a minute or two before proceeding to the next step.

Hose off the engine bay to remove the degreaser, this will remove a good deal of contamination and build up. To clean stubborn stains, take a rag or brush with the degreaser and attack an area specifically. When satisfied, remove the aluminum foil.

Start the car at this point to let the engine bay self dry. This will also ensure you did not screw anything up and you vehicle still turns over .

Take a drying towel and blot dry remaining water. Next you will want to properly dress the engine bay. For the painted areas, treat it like your exterior paint. Feel free to polish, seal, wax, etc. We suggest using a water based vinyl & rubber dressing. Noticed I said water based, these are non-silicone products that do not attract dust, dirt and other contamination. Our favorite dressing is 303 Aerospace Protectant. Best thing about the Aerospace Protectant is that it doubles up as a perfect product for your dash and console areas, leaving you with a beautiful matte finish.

Others will suggest using a can of WD-40. The reason we do not suggest this is over time it can damage hoses, clamps, etc. (plastics and rubber).

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions about cleaning engine bays do not hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image
Old 05-09-2006, 02:29 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

would you suggest just a fine mist of water to get degreaser off... or more of a shower style of spray. as well as... isn't it just the distributor cap/intake your worried about?
Old 05-09-2006, 06:07 PM
DakarM

Originally Posted by tegbooster
would you suggest just a fine mist of water to get degreaser off... or more of a shower style of spray. as well as... isn't it just the distributor cap/intake your worried about?

you could do that and run a risk or spend 5mins more and cover other electronic connections as well as alternator, etc.

that's what i do and I've never had a problem with over 10cars that I did.

I also recommend 303 protectant. that stuff is great! I just spray is everywhere then leave for about 30mins to and hour and then come back with a lint free cloth and buff everything out
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:50 PM
94civicEX
I got worms.

Wanting to do this soon, anyone else have any additional tips/tricks?

Specifically what's best to clean/protect my Black Valve Cover with? It has a whitish hue to it now.

duck squad member #00003
Old 05-22-2007, 07:49 AM
boltuprite

I've done just a basic engine cleaning using a SHARK portable steamer. As mentioned cover any electrical components first. I found the steamer was great as it didn't put a stream of water on the engine just a bit of moisture from the steam. Basically you can usea degreaser, then remove it with the steam and just wipe clean.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:28 AM
94civicEX
I got worms.

Originally Posted by boltuprite
I've done just a basic engine cleaning using a SHARK portable steamer. As mentioned cover any electrical components first. I found the steamer was great as it didn't put a stream of water on the engine just a bit of moisture from the steam. Basically you can usea degreaser, then remove it with the steam and just wipe clean.
Eh, I've seen steam discolor a lot of parts on motors, not so interested in that, thanks though.

duck squad member #00003
Old 05-24-2007, 05:19 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

get a ton of small brushes and scrubbers. You WILL need them.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:38 AM
jesusublime99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94civicEX
Wanting to do this soon, anyone else have any additional tips/tricks?

Specifically what's best to clean/protect my Black Valve Cover with? It has a whitish hue to it now.
Engine degreaser whitened my black valve cover, so I don't spray it anymore. CD2 Engine Detailer brought my valve cover back to life, made it look new again. Just spray and let it air dry, no wiping. My friend says Pig Spit works as well.