Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

what do i do now ;-/

Old 04-17-2006, 06:59 AM
vlc92189

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do i do now ;-/

ok i hooked up the whole wiring kit.. subs a\nd amp./. but when i have all fuses in.. and turn the car on either the fuses in the amp blow... ( 30A) fuses.. or the main fuse blows that came with the wiring kit... can that be a bad amp or what?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:58 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Default Check you grounds...

how long is your ground wire??? Where is it grounded???
Old 04-17-2006, 09:23 AM
vlc92189

i didntcut nothing... so im guesin a foot or two? whatveer came with the wriing kit.. and its grounded to the top rear strut mount located in the back trunk
Old 04-19-2006, 04:04 PM
mishqua

Originally Posted by totalimmortal
how long is your ground wire??? Where is it grounded???
??? A long ground wire won't blow a fuse??? You want the shortest ground you can do so you have a fast return,don't get a ground loop and such .Also you don't want to have power just chilling in 2 feet of wire when you only need a foot, all your power wire pos and neg should be as needed.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:24 PM
mishqua

Make sure that your fuse in your amp and the fuse you got in your wiring kit match the same amps the fuse in the kit can be higher but can not be lower that the fuse in your amp. U could try putting in a different amp and or trace your pos wire all the way back to the battery and make sure there is nothing grounding out on the frame.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:34 PM
First-Bass
12 Volt Master

quik easy way, disconnect the pwr wire from amp, touch 1 prong from multi meter (set on continuity) to pwr wire, connect the other probe to a good ground, if it beeps you have a break in your pwr wire, a screw through it, or its broke.
Now if nothing happens, connect 1 probe to pwr wire at front and 1 pwr wire at back, this time your looking for a beep, then check resistance, should be very low if not zer0.

is the amp new?
is the amp reputable?
could be power supply failer in the amp
could have pwr and grnd wire reversed accidently causeing failier

fuses dont just blow by them selves so that means thier is a reason, find it and problem solved