Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Is my amp dead ?

Old 03-13-2006, 04:40 PM
turismo29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my amp dead ?

I have 2 amps in my car. The first one is for the 2 subs and the 2nd is a 4 channel amp for the speakers. Recently while listening to my radio the other day my speakers goes off all of a sudden, but I can still hear the bass from my subs (all i could hear are the subs). After a few minutes i hear a single poping sound then the music came back from my speakers. Then a few minutes later it stopped, then on, then off...you get the idea. Each on and off intervals last about 15-30 minutes.

What I think is wrong is that the amp for the speakers has insufficient power. But I don't think that makes sense because when I listen to my radio at moderate/low volume the same thing happens. If this is the case then I think a 1 or 2 farad capacitor will do the trick.

The 2nd thing that could be wrong with my 2nd amp (speakers)is that it's broken. But if it's broken then why does it work here and there. If it's broken then it should stop working all together.

My 3rd guess is that the wires are loose. But I rechecked all the wires and they seemed fine and holds up very well.

Here's a pic of the 2nd amp and the rear of subs box if that helps. Please give me some advice on the problems with my amp.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:04 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

I'd say it's overheating. And once it cools down it will turn on again, but over heat again in a few minutes.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:15 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

I'd say it's overheating. And once it cools down it will turn on again, but over heat again in a few minutes.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:19 PM
turismo29

Originally Posted by totalimmortal
Both of my amps are the same brand. But one is a 2 channel and the other is a 4 chanel. The 2 channel amp is bigger and can handle more wattage however. If the diagnosis is overheat, i don't see why only 1 heats up. Shouldnt' both of them heat up? If this were the case any suggestions ?
Old 03-14-2006, 09:19 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Where is the two channel? Mounting location can affect its ability to dissipate heat.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:46 AM
b00gers

It is easy to test if it is overheating. Run the amp, when it cuts, touch the amp. h:
Old 03-14-2006, 02:08 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Originally Posted by b00gers
It is easy to test if it is overheating. Run the amp, when it cuts, touch the amp. h:
:werd:
Old 03-15-2006, 04:58 PM
mishqua

What you can do, if it is overheating is one of two ways you can go to sounddomain.com. They make a fan that will run over the cooling fins, and or what I did was take a couple of CPU fans (very cheap )mount one to the side that pushes air and one on the opposing side drawing air. You will need a power inverter and a relay for the CPU fans. My amps never over heat.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Mynard
Eye warship say ten!

Check the fuse as well...mine was not all the way plugged in and it caused it to workin intervals. Of course the fuse blew after 2 or 3 days of this.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:19 PM
turismo29

There are 2 lights on the amp green is power and red is diagnostic. When it plays it's green. When it stops it's red. I believe this amp is broken and has seen its' last days. I will replace this amp soon. thanks for the help guys