Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Kenwood AMP

Old 02-22-2006, 05:52 AM
hhh711

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kenwood AMP

Ok, i got the new kenwood mono amp, with wired bass control, its 1100 wat peak. I have an alpine type r 1500 wat peak 12 hooked up to it in an anerage box. The only problem is that it doesnt sound to much louder than my 1000 way infinity and 450 way mono amp. The amp supposidly hits 300 wats rms and 4 oms and 550 wats and 2 oms. I turned all the knobs up so that should mean its running at 2 oms correct. The problem i think is that the sub is 4 oms. how can i make this thing hit harder. aka what settings should i use on the amp??
Old 02-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Mynard
Eye warship say ten!

Well if the speaker is a dual voice coil then run all the positive to one terminal and all the negatives to the other terminal and it will drop from 4 to 2 ohms.

+ - + = + all to positive
_ -_ = _ all to negative
Old 02-22-2006, 01:44 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftec...l+-+4+ohms+x+2

I suggest you use the 2 ohm wiring option. This is also assuming that your Type-R is a dual 4 ohm coil.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:39 PM
97teg

First off dont turn all the knobs all the way up. Its a good way to blow something up and you dont gain any vol. It will jsut make it get to its max vol quicker and then probalby go into destortion. Second the difference between 450 and 550 is not much at all. Typically it takes 2x the power to get a 3 db increase. Even that is noticable but not huge. I would also bet that the type r is less efficient so that would also make a difference. Im just saying incase everything is set up properly. Also rms is the only thing that matters, peak means nothing.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:52 AM
hhh711

Default thanks

Thanks for the help, yes its the dual voice coild 4 oms type r. Remmeber mone amp here only 1 negatice cable 1 positive. So your sayin run positive to one of the positives and the negative wire to the OTHER negative spot on the speaker.
To the other guy I mean 300 rms and 550 rms. so pretty big differecne, i'll deff turn the seting down dont wanna blow this amp, even though not much distortion right now, becuase i have the amp droping frequencys that arent like pure bass, lol. But still if the resistance fo the speakers turn to 2 oms, that doesnt really matter if the amp is only at 4 oms. I have no idea how to change the amp form 4 to 2!. Also advice guy about the 4 - 2 oms on the speaker. My manual says that if an amp is comming in to the speaker at 4 oms do like i have and have positive nad negative runnig to same layer, and have jumper in between the positvie and negative on the other layer(coil) what ever. But it says if 2 oms are ocmming iinto the speaker, do like you said and run positive to one coild negative to the other, but use 2 jumpers to conenct the negatives and postives of the other coil respectivly. I dont have but only 1 jumper, wonder where i can get one!!
Old 02-27-2006, 07:27 AM
Mynard
Eye warship say ten!

Dont worry about the amp it will do its thing about the Ohm load. THe only thing that matters is how you wire the sub to the amp. Just take the two positive coils and have a jumper from one to the other. Then run the wire to the positive on the amp and repeat the process on the negative side of the sub. The diagram on the Rockford Fosgate website is very simple to follow if you need a picture.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:25 AM
hhh711

Default crap

Ok, so i went ot kenwood outlet and he gave me some jumpers so i could run at 2 oms. It worked great and was loud as hell, deep base and all. THe only problem is after having it on that setting after a day or so somthing started to smell......(fried). So the sub still works, but i cant turn it to all the way if i do now the sub makes a poping noise and when it does pop the amp turns off and then back on. I think its the amp. but this is a 1100 wat amp.....plus i turned the amp settings down......goin back to kenwood today to see if sub still works fine, which is what im htinking is the case. Ill prob needa new amp, but its under 30 day warenty, I think i need to upgrade to be able to handle what the sub is pulling form it.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:53 AM
Mynard
Eye warship say ten!

How many watts is the sub RMS. How much is the amp RMS? Also make sure that the amp is 2 ohm stable as well.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:20 AM
hhh711

Default im good now

Turn out nothing was fried or blown....hada bad ground that wasn;t drilled into the fram i have put it under a strut nut. it was starting to ionize....had bene ther for almost 2 years. But i got them to drill me some hold and crimp everyhing down $10, and it hit hard as hell now so SCORE!!
Old 03-03-2006, 07:13 AM
Mynard
Eye warship say ten!

Glad to hear that man:hi5: