Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Replaced stereo, now speakers don't work!

Old 02-09-2006, 09:11 PM
megadarren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced stereo, now speakers don't work!

I have a 2000 Honda Civic and just replaced the factory stereo with a new deck. After plugging everything back in I tested the new deck and everything seemed to work fine, including the front and rear speakers. I was about to screw in the panels but then I remembered that I had forgotten to replace 4 screws need to secure the stereo assembly. This is where the problem occurred. I unplugged the lighter to gain access to replace the leftover screws. When I plugged the lighter back in and tested the deck, the speakers no longer worked! I still got power to the head unit but for some reason I lost all sound. What might be the problem? Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Mynard
Eye warship say ten!

I had a similar problem in my wife's old car it was a 01 Saturn Sc2:lmfao:and everytime I would tighten the screws to secure the head unit the speakers would cut out. I was clueless...so I troubleshot like a MOFO. Come to find out a small part of a wire was exposed due to my tugging at the wires to tighen the zip tie that held the harness away from the A/c vent thingy. The tiny exposed wire was pressing up against some bare metal. It was a tight squeeze due to the motorized facepates huge harness. Anyway I heat shrinked the wire and Badda Bing problem solved. So might be a ground issue. :hsdunno:
Old 02-10-2006, 12:20 PM
megadarren

Wow, well that was an easy fix. You were spot on! After patching up some exposed wires all was fine again. Thanks so much!!!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:56 PM
b00gers

I was clueless for a good few minutes when I read this last night.

I am curious, what wires were exposed and grounded?

Glad you got your fix :thumbup: