Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Whirring noise from rear deck speaker on 98 EX

Old 01-19-2006, 07:55 AM
HondaSpeedaX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whirring noise from rear deck speaker on 98 EX

I have a 98 Civic EX with a full JL Audio replacement system. I did all the installs myself, and everything worked perfectly until I set up my sub. I didn't change any of the wiring on the speakers at all, just hooked up the sub, but now there I have engine noise coming through my right rear deck speaker. I've unhooked the speaker and re-hooked it, nothing works, I checked the connection on it too. I ran the power, lead-in, and rca for the sub down the driver's side of the car under all the interior panelling. Could this be the problem or could it be the ground? I dont think the ground is to completely bare metal, but its been a while since i've checked it out. Any clues or ideas?
Old 01-19-2006, 10:52 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Never run RCA's next to power and REM wires.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:12 AM
HondaSpeedaX

Any other options as to what it might be?? anyone?
Old 01-30-2006, 08:32 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

How far back have you traced the speaker wires for that speaker??
Old 01-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Originally Posted by HondaSpeedaX
I have a 98 Civic EX with a full JL Audio replacement system. I did all the installs myself, and everything worked perfectly until I set up my sub. I didn't change any of the wiring on the speakers at all, just hooked up the sub, but now there I have engine noise coming through my right rear deck speaker. I've unhooked the speaker and re-hooked it, nothing works, I checked the connection on it too. I ran the power, lead-in, and rca for the sub down the driver's side of the car under all the interior panelling. Could this be the problem or could it be the ground? I dont think the ground is to completely bare metal, but its been a while since i've checked it out. Any clues or ideas?
How about the ground? Could it be a bad connection? I remember having an issue like that back in the day. Just thought.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:48 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

Ok, first off... how are your main speakers powered? do they have their own amp or are they powered from the deck?

When you added the sub, you added an RCA cable to the rear of the deck, right? meaning you pulled the deck out?
Old 01-31-2006, 07:19 AM
HondaSpeedaX

Yea, the rear speakers are powered off my head unit. And yes when I installed the sub I completely disassembled the inside of the car to run the wiring and plugged the RCA's into the back of the h.u. I don't currently have the car with me cuz I'm at school, but when I get back home, I'm gonna re-run the wiring down the passenger side and see if that makes a significant difference....that just means a shit load of work getting all the panels out.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:11 AM
rcurley55

trouble shoot the problem - don't guess at it.

describing the wirring sound more - does it only happen with the engine on or at all times? does it varry with engine RPM.

you can run power and RCA on the same side of the car - I bet if most of you pulled back your best buy/circuit city installed systems, you'd fine them run this way. It's not recommended, but it's not a guarentee of noise. If this was causing an issue, the problem would be with teh subwoofer making noises, and 99% of the time you can remedy this with a good ground.

The thing that troubles me is that 1. the rear speaker is powered off of the head and 2. it only happens in the right speaker.

This points to it not being a ground loop issue. Where exactly is the amplifier grounded?

I'd be inclined to think it's something with the wiring of the headunit.

Step one is to disconnect the sub/amplifier combo from the system - then listen - if the noise goes away, then it's an issue with the amplifier - somewhere you botched the installation/setup.

If the noise doesn't go away, swap speaker leads at the head unit for rear right and left. If the sound travels over to the left speaker, then it's something in the headunit, if it stays on the right side, there's apinched wire or an issue with the speaker itself.