Notices

stock struts and springs

Old 01-05-2006, 08:33 AM
gmon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock struts and springs

This is kind of a repost. I finally know what I want to do, and what questions I need answered.

I need to replace the rear struts on my 96 accord with 145,000 miles. I want to maintain the stock height and ride, but would like opinions on whether I should replace the springs due to age. If so, go to Honda or local store good enough? If I reuse my springs, do I really need an alignment?

KYB, Gabriel, Monroe, etc. seem to be the same price. Any opinions on quality, ride, and longetivity? Does gas or fluid fillled really matter?

If I use one brand / model in the rear, do I have to use that same brand / model in front?

I want to replace all the rubber pads, washers, etc. while I have it apart. Will they be included with the strut, or will I need to order them seperately.

And last, do you know of any shops in the Boston area that will install my own parts? I already tried loosening that lca bolt with no luck, and now it is snowing.

Tx much.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:01 PM
jghall00

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Especially if you're doing the work yourself. Just get replacement OEM struts. You can replace the bushings up top if you like, but it's not really necessary.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:46 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

exactly, whenever dealing with suspension, it is often best to get an alignment but i have driven w/o an alignment for a year and it is okay.

doesnt matter on the brand as long as it is made specifically for the year and model.

you have to order everything seperately but i didnt change mine out..unless of course it is truely rotting.

go with GR-2's...