Notices

pretty noob question about engine swap

Old 01-01-2006, 09:17 AM
A_D
Reset?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pretty noob question about engine swap

alright, so the other night i bombed the engine in the accord.
went through a huge puddle i didn't see, running long-ram CAI with no fenderwell, and basically my engine took a big gulp of water.
it died instantly and i rolled as far as i could. i tried to crank it over and it wanted to for a few turns but it didn't sound pretty at all, and then i blew the battery and ignition fuses.
it went up on the tow truck, barely got it up onto the ramp/bed because the thing is so damn low, and once we got it on there, a shitload of oil was running off the back of the bed/ramp. not a great sign.
yesterday i took out the spark plug wire to the #3 cylinder and there was oil all over it.
my friend says not to worry about it and that it's just the valve cover spark plug wire seal that broke, but i doubt my engine would leak almost it's entire oil contents when going to a 40* angle because of that little seal.
my guess is that if i looked at the back of the block, i'd probably see a rod sticking out or something equally cute as that. it's raining right now so i don't really feel like checking it out.

anyway, my question is:
this is in a 97 accord, so it's OBDII
if i were to buy an h22a package that comes with the tranny, engine, ECU; would i need to worry about OBDII bullshit if i'm replacing all of the electronics?
the one i'm looking at is this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-H...25520565QQrdZ1

it'd also be nice to know if this is a reputable company to do business with and what you guys think about buying an engine/tranny/ecu off of ebay.

thanks for the answers or help or suggestions, it's appreciated.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

to answer your question.. yes you do. federal law mandates that if you swap an engine into a car the engine being installed must be newer than the car. in short, you can't swap in an engine from a '94 prelude into a '95 accord, etc...
Old 01-01-2006, 11:38 AM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by Bl@ck
to answer your question.. yes you do. federal law mandates that if you swap an engine into a car the engine being installed must be newer than the car. in short, you can't swap in an engine from a '94 prelude into a '95 accord, etc...
Well, there's loopholes. It depends where you live. If you don't have emissions testing like here in NH, nobody will know the difference.

As far as OBD emissions, yes, OBDII would be the easiest swap. You can do an OBDI but plan on spending some time converting all the harnesses.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:47 AM
A_D
Reset?

fuck it, i'm just gonna get another f22b2 and sell the thing.
but in any case, thanks for the info. wasn't aware of the federal law swap law stuff.