Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Remote Starter Question

Old 12-31-2005, 09:25 AM
Accord2005NJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Starter Question

Car: 2005 Accord LX I4 Auto

I am thinking about installing remote starter in my 05 Accord. Can I install just any oll' remote starter or do I need to get a specific one? What I mean by this is is it better to do this thru a dealer or can any alarm/remote shop do it (I am sure then can do it, the question is can they screw someting else by installing the starter - i.e. cars electronics?)

Thx
Old 12-31-2005, 09:43 AM
honda guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer usually sublets that type of work out. Im sure any reputable stereo/alarm shop can do the job.

The 05 is tricky because you need to have another key made and it needs to be installed in a special transmiter box under the dash. Reason being is these cars since 98 have a chip in the key for the immobilizer. So without it the car won't start. Personally i would let someone elso do it than tackle it myslef.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:49 AM
Accord1278

Save yourself the money and don't go to the freaking dealer. Get it done at a local reputable sound store, etc. You have to bring the "valet" key with you and you'll get charged a little extra due to the fact that you have to purchase a "key box" (not sure what the exact terminology is) because of the chip in the car key. They hide that along with the brains of the system to fool the car into thinking that there is a key in the ignition when you go to start it with the remote. I've had remote starters in almost all my cars and absolutely love them, especially in colder areas. One thing, when it's very very cold, like first thing in the morning after a very cold night, the car might not start using the remote starter, it'll crank, but not kick over, and it'll do that 3 times, before it kills the start sequence. And then you'll have to either go out to the car and start it physically or you can try it again with the remote. It happens to mine once in a blue moon. Just a heads up, just in case one very cold morning, your car doesn't want to turn over with the remote.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:37 PM
stereo

I would have a shop that does custom work and not the big chain stores. one part you will need is the bypass module for the immobilizer unit one company has a good module (bypass kits) it will learn your key so you don't have to leave a key in the box ,also it will control your doorlocks and arm and disarm your factory alarm via. databuss making it a cleaner install and reduceing install problems .
Old 01-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Accord2005NJ

Hi Guys,

Happy New Years.

Thanks for replies.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Illegal B16
New Zealand

the part you need is a 556u from D.E.I.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Accord2005NJ

Originally Posted by Illegal B16
the part you need is a 556u from D.E.I.

Is this it?

DEI 556U Universal Remote Start Immobilizer Bypass Module
Most new and late model vehicles have factory anti-theft systems to prevent a vehicle being started without the specific owner's key in the ignition. These factory anti-theft systems provide a valuable service to the vehicle owner helping to prevent a thief from hot-wiring and starting your vehicle. Unfortunately these systems also prevent a remote starter from starting your vehicle, unless you left the key in the ignition, which could easily result in vehicle theft.

Directed Electronics, Inc (DEI), the world leader in remote start technology and factory interface systems, has developed a complete line of 555–series modules that interface with the factory anti-theft systems only during the remote start operation. Therefore the DEI 555-series Bypass Modules do not compromise your factory anti-theft system, preserving its integrity, and leaving it fully functional at all other times. DEI Bypass Modules give you the best of both worlds, maintaining the protection of your factory anti-theft system, while enabling you to enjoy the convenience and comfort of a DEI Valet Remote start system.

Of course, you need to use the correct DEI Bypass Module for your specific vehicle. See the DEI Bypass Reference Chart for the correct DEI 555 Series Bypass Module for your vehicle.

The DEI 556U immobilizer interface module (bypass module) is used when installing a remote starter in vehicles equipped with an RF (Radio Frequency) based immobilizer system. This type of system uses a small chip imbedded in the ignition key, called a transponder, to transmit a very low powered RF signal. This signal is detected through an antenna (or coil) around the ignition switch, which is then sent to the immobilizer's transceiver. Once the correct signal is received, the immobilizer will enable the ignition and fuel systems. If an attempt is made to start the vehicle and the transceiver does not receive a valid code, the ignition and fuel system is disabled. The 556U bypasses the immobilizer system only when the remote start is in use, thus maintaining the factory system's integrity. When the remote start is not in use, the factory immobilizer system remains fully functional.

One of the vehicle's coded keys must be installed permanently inside the 556U. When the remote start is activated, the 556U reads the chip in it's key and sends the signal to the vehicle's immobilizer transceiver enabling the vehicle to start and run with the remote starter. When the remote start is shut off, the 556U disconnects from the transceiver, returning the vehicle to it's full protection.

DEI 556U Bypass Module

$29.00

Last edited by Accord2005NJ; 01-01-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:22 PM
Illegal B16
New Zealand

yes. It's like $55 at best buy I think.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Accord2005NJ

Thx
Old 01-02-2006, 06:23 PM
stereo

actually it's the 555HW it requires key the one at bypasskits.com only needs the key to be present durring programing and learns your key also it will send the proper siginal through the databus to unlock and lock your doors and arm and disarm your factory alarm ....solveing one big headeache as stock alarms set when doors lock and when you remote start it goes off!