Notices

is the belt going to brake?

Old 12-28-2005, 07:37 AM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is the belt going to brake?

my friends 5th gen accord has the timing belt too tight and when the car is on idle the belt makes noise.

the noise sound exactly like the wind. is not that loud but enough to get u worry.
when u step on the gas the noise goes away but when u let go the gas the noise comes back and also when is on park or neutral and it dont matter what speed you going.

i am thinking the belt adjust itself when u step on the gas but when is idle thats when u really can tell is too tight.
I want to know if the timing can brake or not because of this? he has to wait until monday so the dealer can fix it.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:28 PM
semyonlibman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you know that it is too tight?

Anyway. A weird sound on my Subaru appeared to be a frozen timinng idler that cost me a broken belt. Beware!

Sam
Old 12-28-2005, 05:34 PM
lowelcam96

Normally on Accords the Timing belts have some slack on them, loosen the belt, it will not "adjust by itself." The sound goes away above idle because the engine's noise level increases. If you don't loosen it, it may damage the tensioner. Good luck
Old 12-28-2005, 07:35 PM
strykernyc

we know it is the timing belt too tight because everyshop we try has the same comment. today we went to the dealer and they also said the belt is too tight, we try to have the dealer do the job but they are full and the next appt is a week from today. the guys at the dealer said to drive slow and nothing will happen. btw the dealer wants $750
Old 12-28-2005, 09:32 PM
HurricaneHUgo
Some Mexican

Thank god I have cousins who are mechanics....
Old 12-30-2005, 10:21 AM
strykernyc

here is an update. I track down a good mechanic of mine and he did the timing belt job on my friends car this morning and he did a beautiful job, the car is very quite is perfect and u guys wouldnt believe how much he charge.

one hundred dollar.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:47 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

Originally Posted by strykernyc
here is an update. I track down a good mechanic of mine and he did the timing belt job on my friends car this morning and he did a beautiful job, the car is very quite is perfect and u guys wouldnt believe how much he charge.

one hundred dollar.
tracked*
dollars*

and good job on finding a mechanic.