Notices

Totaled Accord...Fair insurance price?

Old 12-27-2005, 08:22 PM
tnrplaya
98 A Chord Coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totaled Accord...Fair insurance price?

Hey everyone,

Sadly, my 98 EX Coupe was totaled a week ago... I have an i4 w\ leather VTEC, etc...

the insurance is offering me ~$8100...is that a fair price? Blue book is closer to $9k, plus I am forced to leave some parts on the car.

Greddy Evo II Cat Back.

Injen CAI

Irragi 180A Alternator

Motegi 17" MR7's gunmetal w\ kuhmo 711

Tein SS Coilovers

Tint

Hardwire V1 install

Powerslot Rotors

Hawk HPS Pad

Goodridge SS Brake Lines (This whole braking system has less than 1000 mi on it)

Optima Redtop Battery

Am I getting Ripped off?

Thanks!

~A
Old 12-27-2005, 08:27 PM
VPUPPY

how many miles? i would take more parts off before you get ride of it. seems like they low balled you. any pics of it b4 accident?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:47 PM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

Yes, sell your parts seperately.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:25 AM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds good just make sure u leave the car stock. u can sell the tein ss for $500 and up easy.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:35 AM
blacknight07601

Also remember, insurance company will evaluate the retail of your car stock. They really don't give anything for aftermarket parts that weren't offered by the manufacturer.
Best bet is to strip off everything you put on and sell it privately
Old 12-28-2005, 08:58 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by tnrplaya
Hey everyone,

Sadly, my 98 EX Coupe was totaled a week ago... I have an i4 w\ leather VTEC, etc...

the insurance is offering me ~$8100...is that a fair price? Blue book is closer to $9k, plus I am forced to leave some parts on the car.

Greddy Evo II Cat Back.

Injen CAI

Irragi 180A Alternator

Motegi 17" MR7's gunmetal w\ kuhmo 711

Tein SS Coilovers

Tint

Hardwire V1 install

Powerslot Rotors

Hawk HPS Pad

Goodridge SS Brake Lines (This whole braking system has less than 1000 mi on it)

Optima Redtop Battery

Am I getting Ripped off?

Thanks!

~A

they are giving you an estimate on the stock car.
Take the parts off and sell them. Why would it matter to them though if the car is going to be totaled? Could it be they will fix it and sell it later?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:04 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

how many miles on the car?

if you can provide proof of payment on the parts, they should be able to add that into the estimate.

If the car was stock, $8,100 for an 8 year old car is very very good.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:16 AM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take any usable aftermarket parts left on the car put the stock parts back in like the radio and wheels as the insurance company usally doesn't car about thosse parts and as long as the car is complete your in the clear
Old 12-28-2005, 03:33 PM
sammyg10

I had an 01 civic that was totaled in Jan 2004 in Tx (stupid illegal drunk driver ran a redlight). In my opinion, taking everything apart and selling them on ebay etc can be a pain in the @$$ so this is what i would do. If you have the receipts saved from when u moded the car, maintenance receipts etc etc (hopefully), show em to the insurance adjuster guy and convince him that u put in so much money n bla bla bla...that way it saves u the trouble..and it worked for me...though i didnt have mods...just the maintenance receipts and tire receipts etc got him to increase his offer by 2.75k....(pretty good in my opinion...considering all i did was bs)

I would do this before i ripping the car apart....since ur gonna do that nyway...try this before...it should work....good luck and let us know how it turns out...

another thing to keep in mind is this...from ur case (as was mine) ..seems like the offer the guy is making is considering the worth of the car before the damage...obviously it would take more than 8.1k (in ur case) to fix ur car....otherwise he would have payed for the repair...keeping this in mind...noone is actually going to repair the car...its going to a junkyard...thats for sure...hence...what i would do..(this is my sneaky @$$) ...tell em what i said before...and later (a couple of days before its about to be towed) take most of this stuff out nyway...cause in my case..noone came to check on the car before it was being towed to see if it had all the parts in place...i took everything out...including the radio..spare wheel..mirrors....especially ur aftermarket parts....i know its unethical...but what in this world isnt....just my humble opinion...dont want u to say later on that nobody mentioned it to u...

Last edited by sammyg10; 12-28-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:15 PM
tnrplaya
98 A Chord Coupe

Originally Posted by sammyg10
I had an 01 civic that was totaled in Jan 2004 in Tx (stupid illegal drunk driver ran a redlight). In my opinion, taking everything apart and selling them on ebay etc can be a pain in the @$$ so this is what i would do. If you have the receipts saved from when u moded the car, maintenance receipts etc etc (hopefully), show em to the insurance adjuster guy and convince him that u put in so much money n bla bla bla...that way it saves u the trouble..and it worked for me...though i didnt have mods...just the maintenance receipts and tire receipts etc got him to increase his offer by 2.75k....(pretty good in my opinion...considering all i did was bs)

I would do this before i ripping the car apart....since ur gonna do that nyway...try this before...it should work....good luck and let us know how it turns out...

another thing to keep in mind is this...from ur case (as was mine) ..seems like the offer the guy is making is considering the worth of the car before the damage...obviously it would take more than 8.1k (in ur case) to fix ur car....otherwise he would have payed for the repair...keeping this in mind...noone is actually going to repair the car...its going to a junkyard...thats for sure...hence...what i would do..(this is my sneaky @$$) ...tell em what i said before...and later (a couple of days before its about to be towed) take most of this stuff out nyway...cause in my case..noone came to check on the car before it was being towed to see if it had all the parts in place...i took everything out...including the radio..spare wheel..mirrors....especially ur aftermarket parts....i know its unethical...but what in this world isnt....just my humble opinion...dont want u to say later on that nobody mentioned it to u...
=insurance fraud?!

I do have all reciepts and a shit-ton of pictures...
the problem is I don't have some of the stock parts to replace the aftermarkets ones (or because of the damage I can't get to them like the alternator.