Notices

HID lights - noob questions

Old 12-17-2005, 09:14 AM
sammyg10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID lights - noob questions

hey yall,

i know alot of forums have been put up that talk about HID lights and all....but noone has really mentioned what all do you really need to make the conversion...in layman terms. I visited xenondepot.com and hidplanet.com .... but the lingo is still too high tech for me....so my han friends....be patient and kind enough to answer these questions for me...

what equipment do i need to convert my 05 ex-L sedan headlights to TRUE hidlights...

what do people mean by retrofits? ballasts? tyc projectors? etc etc...

AGAIN: BE PATIENT ENOUGH TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS. IF YOU THINK THEY ARE TOO NEWBIE AND DUMB FOR YOU, DONT BOTHER POSTING.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:38 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

XenonDepot offers HID kits. You'll have to order the kit which matches your stock bulb size. In my 2000 Accord, my stock bulb size is a 9006, so I ordered a 9006 kit.

Within the kit, you'll be given 2 major pieces, the ballast and the bulb. The ballast is what powers the bulb. You take your stock bulb harness, plug it into the ballast. From the ballast, you take a new cable (supplied) and plug that into your 9006 HID (supplied) bulb. It's a very very simple install, the most difficult part being where to mount the ballast.

The stock headlight housing isn't meant for HID use. The shape and dimensions of the internal reflectors will fracture the light causing blinding glare to oncoming traffic. With the kits available, you'll be able to see just fine ... but everyone around you will get blinded.

People choose to actually "retrofit" projector lenses into their Accord's headlight housing. They phyically remove a projector from a car that has them (BMW, S2K, Audi, Infinty, etc) and fit them where needed. This is a very difficult, and more expensive, install.

The results are stunning though. You won't blind oncoming traffic, they physically look good in the housing, and you get a percision cutoff line with the projectors.

Like I said earlier, this is the most difficult way to do this. You'll need to find donor projectors, then the HID unit from that car. This could run up to $1,500 in parts alone. The install is no walk in the park too.

Instead of jamming in kits, or cutting in projectors, TYC offers replacement headlight housings for the Accord. The difference between TYC and every other eBay brand is quality.

Purchase the TYC lamp, and the matching kit from XenonDepot. (the TYC lamp changes the stock bulb size, so you'll have to further research what it actually is) This provides the best solution with safty, ease, and staisfaction considered.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want true hids... then retrofit is the way to go. Although better then stock, tyc projectors arent the best, but it's a better alternative to using HID kits in stock lights. Depending on the components used, you can get a retrofit assembled for under $1000.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:30 AM
sammyg10

thanks you guys for ur help...i do have some more questions

in one of the forums...it said..if you install hids correctly..it doesnt blind everyone around you...is that true?

so far if i understand correctly..theres two aspects to having hids....either just get the kit and stick em in the stock housing..or get a kit AND the housing (tyc projectors or retrofits)...correct?

as far as the housing goes...what do yall think about anzo brand...? does tyc make projectors for 7th gen?

thanks again for ur help!!!
Old 12-17-2005, 11:37 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by sammyg10
in one of the forums...it said..if you install hids correctly..it doesnt blind everyone around you...is that true?
if they're talking about the plug and play kits (no retrofit, no projectors) then whoever said that is wrong. The kit is nothing more than swapping a bulb then aiming down. It's the entire housing that causes the glare, not the install method.

so far if i understand correctly..theres two aspects to having hids....either just get the kit and stick em in the stock housing..or get a kit AND the housing (tyc projectors or retrofits)...correct?
Actually, 3.

1. get the kit that matches your stock bulb size, install. (least expensive)
2. retrofit projectors using donor parts from different cars. (most expensive)
3. get new headlight housings (TYC, etc) and then get the kit that matches that bulb size. (about $150 more than option 1)
Old 12-17-2005, 01:38 PM
sammyg10

e3nine....what kind of hids do u have....i see in ur profile that u got 4300K hids...?
Old 01-06-2006, 06:59 AM
sammyg10

Bringing back an old post

Badtameezboy here on HAN is selling a pair of TSX projectors for $150. Can they fit in a 05 accord ex sedan? If not, what else do I need to buy? Thanks
Old 01-06-2006, 07:19 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Badtameezboy here on HAN is selling a pair of TSX projectors for $150. Can they fit in a 05 accord ex sedan? If not, what else do I need to buy? Thanks
They just won't plug in and fit. You'll have to do a complete headlight reconstruction, it's called "retrofitting".
Old 01-06-2006, 07:20 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

e3nine....what kind of hids do u have....i see in ur profile that u got 4300K hids...?
mine are a 4300K, 9006 plug and play kit.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:21 AM
TaekOne
pronounced tech

any projector will fit into any other pair of lights. projector sizes dont vary much at all, but rather its an issue of installing them (retrofitting) properly. a pair of TSX projectors for that price is actually really decent. i got hime for $225 and i love them dearly.